Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2nd Gen 1993 Mazda MX6 4-cylinder smokes when it starts....if it has been sitting for a couple of hours. I fire it up and it runs fine, but it smokes a lot until i drive a little bit, then it quits...and it also jerks and idles weird when it is stopped in gear. I have had a few people tell me its the headgasket. I have no knowledge of cars and engines, so I couldnt really figure this out on my own

Second question, I have my subs and amp in my trunk finally, I have all the wiring ready to be ran, I just have no clue on how to get the seat up and the carpet up, and for that matter, is there a terminal past the firewall for me to wire the 12v lead of the amp to? I was unable to locate one. and grounding point-wise, can i just ground it on one of the rear seat bolts? looks simple enough and it looks like a good ground, if u know where im talking about. Thanks so much in advance :) word

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
is the smoke white or blueish? if its blueish and it only smokes on start-up its your valve seals, my old 4 banger did the same thing but it had around 370,000 kms on it, I just kept putting oil in it when it got low but it never let me down the jerking and wierd idling could be a number of things

as for the amp wiring the only terminal is on the battery unless you put your own second terminal in somewhere which would require wiring it through the firewall anyways, in both my RS and my LS I just ran it through the rubber piece that the airbag wire goes through and I use 4ga wire so unless you are using 0ga for some reason it will fit through there, as for the carpet just take the door sills off and pop the wire underneath there and for the ground I put my own in but I dont see why the seat bolt wouldn't work.

good luck

·
Registered
138 Posts
could be alot of thingsmaking it smoke. leaky valve seals, worn out piston rings, headgasket. usually if a head gaskets gone it'll smoke all the time (I mean really gone). It could be starting to go, but usually it'll just go, not take its time.

·
Registered
138 Posts
also where the seat bolts to the floor will work for a ground for an amp. done it many times when installing an amp under a seat

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks guys. it is more so white smoke than blue, in fact, it is white completely. So i dont know, based on what you guys tell me, then i'll know what to get fixed.

and as for the ground, i didnt mean the front seat, i mean the rear seats, where they mount in the trunk....its real short ground.....but thanks guys

·
Registered
138 Posts
white smoke is almost always head gasket. Anywhere a seat bolts to the chassis will work for the ground

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
yah but it only smokes on startup head gasket and rings will smoke all the time warm or cold revving or idling white smoke does mean coolant but i'm not sure where it would be coming from :S

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i did what i said i was gonna do....i mounted the ground to one of the rear seat bolts, and it works completely awsome :) its great, my subs hit hard, a little bit of dimming with the car off but its not noticeable when i'm running the car.....it hits so hard i got a headache on the way to school this morning XD

but yea, she's still smoking....not bad, if as soon as i start my car i put it into gear and drive away....if it sits for a few seconds then it smokes alot.......still dont know the problem, but i think its most likely the head gasket. reguardless, the car still runs strong.

another note on my amp install, other than someone saying the door seals pop off to pull up the carpet, i pretty much did everything without knowledge, such as removing the center console, removing the rear seats, removing the passenger seat, and finding a sutable firewall hole to run the 12v lead thru. system started thumping as soon as i turned on the radio :)

thanks for all the help guys :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts