Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok
sometimes my car wont turn over

i try and turn teh car, but the car ticks and the engine wont turn over to start the car...
when i pull the key out and try again it still does the same thing...
iw ould have to keep taking out the key and try and starting it about 5-10 times before it starts...

then it works fine again..

this only happens sometimes, not frequent enough

is my starter motor on the way oout?
or could this be something i could replace on the starter? but not the actual whole assembly?

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
do u find it happens more so when its hot than cold ??

i believe there is a flat spot in our starters, well thats what the auto elec told me, anyway, i dropped it off to him to be reco'd and apprently he also machined something there.

haven't had a problem since

but yes get it reco'd or a new one asap

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Definately sounds like the starter.

Find a reputable auto electrical repair shop and get it reconditioned. I had exactly the problem and got it fixed for $150 (but I took it out of and put back in the car - its not that hard).

In the meantime carry a spanner round with you and when it doesnt work hit it gently with a spanner. The starter should then fire (its an old trick..)

·
Registered
456 Posts
Snuff said:
In the meantime carry a spanner round with you and when it doesnt work hit it gently with a spanner. The starter should then fire (its an old trick..)

Cold water was another one that my dad used and then it help to minimise your chance of stuffing it up badly if you hit too hard

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
tomee said:
anyone got pics of wehre to unbolt it?
is it simply unbolting then rebolting it?
Access is a little restricted. You need to get under the car, remove the intake manifold and it is right there infront of you. There are simply three bolts and some wires to disconnect. Should take an hour max even if you don't know what you're doing.

A workshop manual will give you all the steps but it is pretty straight forward.

Cheers
Josh

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
You can do it with the intake manifold on, just remove the bracket that attaches everything to everything else to the car (you will understand when you see it).

That said mine has a new starter which i got about 18 monhts ago, and after about 6 months it is still doing hte same thing, not sure if it might be wiring related?

·
Banned
1,755 Posts
u can do it from the top without having to take anything else bar the starter out

·
Registered
146 Posts
sorry but notice how im always arguing with all yous guys. mine does the same but i dont think its the starter motor. the reason why i say this is that when i finally do get engine to cranks. it does it without no harsh shitty crunching or nothing. turns like brand new starter. im going to look into this by replacing the relay. i think that clicking noise is the relay moving over but not contacting fully. im going to hook up test light to it and see if i can get it to fault. to see if there is power.

another theory is contact inside of starter motor not passing power. and the clicking noise is gear locking in flywheel but not passing any power to turn gear. if this is the problem then youll have to get it repaired.

ill tell yous next week.

·
Registered
541 Posts
the problem isnt the actual starter motor - its the solenoid.

On the starter motor you will see a smaller metal tube (for lack of a better description!) that is moulded into the starter casing, thats the solenoid.

Once they get effected by heat, once the solenoid is energised it fails to force the piston out to push the start gears onto the starter ring attached to the flywheel. There is a cut off curcuit (on most starter motors - not 100% on the mx tho) that does not allow the motor to spin until the solenoid has pushed forward (so the gear isnt spinning onto the ring - who needs teeth you cant chew with!)

Tapping the starter loosens the solenoid to move freely (pooring water over it cools it!)

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Snuff said:
Access is a little restricted. You need to get under the car, remove the intake manifold and it is right there infront of you. There are simply three bolts and some wires to disconnect. Should take an hour max even if you don't know what you're doing.

A workshop manual will give you all the steps but it is pretty straight forward.

Cheers
Josh
Whoops!! sorry. I mean Manifold Bracket, not the Manifold!!

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
tomme is yours auto? cause if it is move the shifter around then itll go second time. mine does it too, something to do with the inhibitor switch.

·
Premium Member
2,347 Posts
yes or put it into N or something.........sometimes it does take a few goes but usually it will start on the 2nd try when it does it.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts