Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While I was at walmart, the valvoline max life engine protector stuff caught my eye (little red 15oz bottle). Without being watched, I opened the bottle and took a look at the viscosity and took a quick wiff of it (well it didnt say it was harmfull, so wtf, right?). Let me tell you, this stuff smelled exactly like auto rx from when I last used it. I wonder if they used the same solution auto rx uses. The only difference I noticed between the two is that auto rx is more opaque and it becomes incredibly viscous at around 35deg. The valvoline stuff didnt become as viscous when I stuck it in the fridge, but I think they pre-mixed it with some oil to prevent it from hardening like that rx stuff

BTW: it costs a little less than 4 bux per bottle

·
Registered
493 Posts
Its different stuff. The valvoline is an oil additive to help boost the additive pack in oils. Auto-rx is made of some organic esters, made specifically for cleaning. Lots of good reading on different additives at bobistheoilguy.com. A really popular additive booster is Valvoline Synpower Oil Treatment (VSOT). Contains a good dose of Moly and other adds. Because that stuff is so THICK, a lot of people just add 1oz per quart to keep their oil from thickening a grade (30->40), even though the bottle says dump it all in.

Did the red valvoline bottle also say it's a engine stop leak? If so, I picked up a couple of them free after rebate from Pep Boys and add 1oz per quart with my M1 to give it an extra boost and condition the seals.

Reactions: AAlonzo

·
Registered
1,900 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
drat, I thought I was onto something here. Thanks for all the info. karma to you

1 - 3 of 3 Posts