Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Pulled out coolant hoses and fuel lines that where in good shape from storage, cleaned them all, found enough clean hose clamps for everything and installed them.
Pulled the knock sensor and oil pressure switch, cleaned them, painted them and installed them.
View attachment 13938

Also changed leak locked the turbo inlet fitting (it would sometimes dribble the tiniest amount of oil once and a while but any amount of oil baking under the hood is to much.

Found my box full of timing covers while looking for other stuff (organizing shit while I search through it) so I swapped the lower timing cover.

View attachment 13939

Pulled the engine harness and grounding harness off the rusted 626, installed aftermarket battery terminals, had to peal the factory connectors off the wires because otherwise they are too short, had to clean the corrosion off them, clean them in acetone, and install them in the stupid crimp bolt battery terminal connectors.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 · (Edited)
Pulled the clutch master and slave, cleaned and coated the mounting bolts and nuts.
Pulled the starter, cleaned and coated the bolts.
Also coated the intermediate axle bolts.

Then I decided to paint the hydraulic clutch assembly and all 3 axles.

Wood Flooring Electrical wiring Gas Engineering

Barware Glass Wood Stemware Room

The only things that haven't been coated or painted are the alternator, the starter and the firewall solenoid with 3 vacuum lines (egr).

I will clean the egr solenoid.
The alternator is staying as is.
Hopefully I can find a better looking starter to use.
Gas Auto part Nickel Metal Machine

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 · (Edited)
Found a starter
Wood Gas Hardwood Nut Machine

Pulled the engine and transmission out of the rusted 626, pulled the transmission off and swapped the end cap.
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Floor Flooring Engineering

The transmission still looks like crap, I will clean it a bit more.
I found replacement bolts for the cap, transmission mounting and transmission mounts, cleaned and coated them
Fluid Electrical wiring Gas Auto part Machine

Old stage 3 clutch and factory tightened flywheel top, replacement stage 4/5 clutch and fidanza flywheel bottom.

Automotive tire Crankset Gear Motor vehicle Alloy wheel

Lightened flywheel :
Crankset Automotive tire Vehicle brake Gear Disc brake

I tried weighing it on the paint scale nextdoor but it only goes up to 7.5 kg / 16.5 lbs, the flywheel weighs more than 16.5 lbs but I'm sure it weighs under 20lbs.
The fidanza with clutch and flywheel bolts:
Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Rim Gas Auto part

10.5 lbs.
Ironically the stage 4/5 clutch pressure plate is much thicker and so are the forks, the disk has larger pucks made of sintered steel and the center of the disk is thicker, this clutch assembly is about 15lbs heavier that the stage 3 which kind of defeats the purpose of the aluminum flywheel.
The stage 3 handles all the power this car ever made.
Why use the replacement assembly? It should go in the 89 mx6 gt that currently has a stage 4 and lightened flywheel.
Perhaps when I rebuild the mx6gt next summer I will powdercoat a transmission for the 626 and swap clutches.

Had to disassembled the entire driver axle to change the outer boot, cleaned the transmission again,still looks like crap but whatever.
Had to solder new wires to the safety neutral switch that bolts in the transmission, crimp ne factory style spade connectors...

Just a few motor mount bolts and washers to clean and coat and it's ready to assemble and drop in.
Don't want to take the motor off the stand until I'm ready to install it.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Engineering Gas Auto part

Reactions: Grantly

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Engine harness cleaned and taped.
Flooring Wood Engineering Composite material Electrical wiring

·
Registered
2,520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Installed the flywheel and clutch, new release bearing and the transmission.
Turns out I powdercoated a non turbo lower transmission dust shield. The 3 lower bolts don't line up but it seals the bottom of the transmission so it can stay on for now until I get another one powdercoated....
Got the engine in the car bolted to all 4 mounts.
Vehicle Blue Hood Car Automotive design

Hood Automotive design Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive air manifold

The weight of the engine did not drop the front end as much as I expected but there is still a lot to install in the engine bay, CV-joints, fluids, battery, headlights, wiper reservoir, wire harnesses, intercooler, pipes... I'm guessing about 300 more pounds to add to front end, hopefully this will lower the front end to the correct ride height.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts