Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a new Sony Xplod deck into my '93 MX-6 LS, removing the factory unit. Everything works on it except for the antenna. CD's play, the stereo works, but my power antenna does not come up when the radio is on.

It appears there are 2 wires of the antenna coming from the car, one connecting into the deck and one that has to be crimped on to a blue wire (the blue wire coming out of the new deck. As far as I can tell I have done it right, but the antenna does not work.

If you think you can help any suggestions are appreciated, and I can obtain pictures to show what I mean if needed.

Thank you,
Jeff Dunbar.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Did you ever get this working, Surrey? I have a '96 m-edition, with an Aiwa CDC-Z106 deck, removing the factory unit. I get everything to work as well, and also have the problem of the power antenna not coming up.

My wiring harness also comes with 2 wires for the antenna; one solid blue and one blue w/white stripe. I try connecting them both to any of the 3 remaining wires on the car; the red w/green stripe (haynes calls this one the power antenna one), the orange (haynes calls this one the instrument lights), and the brown (haynes also calls this one the instrument lights one). I'm a bit baffled. Help anyone?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
The power antenna needs voltage to be told when to go up. So, the question is, which wire did you connect the car's power antenna wire to on the radio? The radio should have a power antenna lead, or a remote lead... either will provide the voltage needed to raise the antenna.

The other big, fat, black cable is the actual antenna signal lead - this doesn't connect to the harness, of course, and connects to the antenna jack on the headunit. I imagine you figured this part out already. This wire doesn't have any signal to raise/lower the antenna.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
schwinn said:
The power antenna needs voltage to be told when to go up. .
Not necessarily. I'm not sure about the 2nd gen, but the 1st gen power antenna needs a wire grounded for the antenna to go up, so you have to install a relay to reverse the polarity.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
I defer to Magik's firther knowledge about 1st gens, however the OP was talking about a 93, which is a 2nd gen like mine...

Last I checked, I simply connected the power antenna lead from my new HU which, according to the manual, drives 12VDC when the HU wants the antenna to go up.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts