Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My freakin power antenna is broken... I think it broke from ice and prolonged cold weather but anyway... it pulls up and pushes down freely with no resistance at all. I can hear the motor running and it sounds clean up and down. If I push the antenna down with the motor running down it will eventually catch and pull down and the limit switch will cut the motor out. Then going up the antenna moves up about 2 inches then stops.. If light pressure put on it pushing down it produces a grinding noise but does not push up.

Anyone have any suggestions? I need to know what part to replace.. are there some small parts I can replace or do I need to replace the whole assembly? Or maybe a quick easy fix????? Thats what I need! hehe.

Thanx

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
This is a super common problem with our cars. If your's lasted longer than 100,000 miles then consider yourself lucky. My LX antenae went out before I bought it @ 84,000, and my GT one went out around 110,000. You have to replace the whole assembly. It sucks not because of the price of the part, but because of the labor. Aparrently it's like a 3.5-4 hour job for a Mazda mechanic. I have a new anntenae for mine but haven't ever put it in because it's such a big job.

·
Registered
283 Posts
yo bro the problem with your attena is that u need to change the mast not the whole assembly, if you hear your motr turning then your motor is fine, like u said it moved up and down freely mine did that call the dealer u need a mast its like 26 bucks i have a 1993 mazda mx6 v6 so i know.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
When I said "whole assembly" I meant just the mast. I wasn't thinking of the motor as being part of the anntenae. Sorry about that.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Exactly what I needed~!

Cool thanks a lot... Thats what I needed to hear. I was counting on it being just the mast. 26 bucks is nothing... sweet.

Hey AntiSUV I pulled back the carpet and looked at the installation. It doesent appear to be too hard to change. The mast is very easy to disconnect from the body. Is there a process I am overlooking?

Mx64u2catch did you change yours? Was it difficult? Any special tools or suggestions?

Thanks again,
Dave.

[Edited by dacr11 on 01-22-2001 at 04:30 PM]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts