Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,
I have been looking into power brake boosters lately, and cannot find concrete information.

Are all 1st Gen brake boosters the same?

I only find 1 part number according to jimellismazda. However, aftermarket remanfactured units have a part number for abs and non-abs, with different diaphragm sizes listed.

I know the 2nd Gen has a few different boosters, but what about the 1st Gen? The abs and non abs versions look the same to me.

And is there any difference in the booster featured on disc/drum, as opposed to disc/disc? I have searched the net to no avail.

I have read posts from members deleting their abs, and they changed the mc and prop valve but did not mention the booster.

I am thinking of ditching my abs, but will I have to try and find a non abs booster specifically from a GT with 4 wheel discs?
If anyone knows, I would appreciate the insight.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,329 Posts
Rear disk and rear drum models use the same booster.
The brake booster is just a vacuum chamber that makes applying the brakes easier, it doesn't matter if the ABS booster is different as long as the non ABS master cylinder fits the ABS brake booster it will do the same job as the non ABS booster.

The ABS master cylinder will do the same job as the Non ABS master cylinder but the fittings are hard to work with, if you use the two hard lines leaving the master going to the ABS box and use female to female couplings and more brake line you can run them to a proportioning valve, this is the one thing you do need. The ABS unit acts as a proportioning valve for the front and rear brakes (1 line from master to booth fronts and 1 line from master to both rears). The ABS firewall "proportioning valve" is just a connection point for the rear brake lines so they don't run from the ABS unit to the rear in one long line.

The Non ABS proportioning valve has 6 ports, 2 in and 4 out.

I hate ABS, it sucks and it is dangerous. My 2005 Mazda 3's hood flew opened at 160km/h so I bought a 2007 but it has ABS, stopping distances have doubled or worse on snow and ice, the 2007 3 has to be old lady driven in parking lots and coming up to red lights and stop signs, if I disconnect anything ABS related the speedometer and power steering stop working I will have to Bypass the ABS unit using a 6 way proportioning valve and leave the ABS unit plugged in.

But you can simply unplug the unit from the harness and remove the fuse to run without ABS. I don't blame you for wanting to ditch the weight, free up some space and get that hideous looking box out of the engine bay.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts