Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure if the GT's have this but my 89 LX atx has a power switch I guess to give you a little extra power boost. I've read the manual, and that's what it says. But what I want to know is what is the real differance other than the fact that when I have it set to power and not "Econ" it sucks gas like no other. I looked through other threads but no one has asked about this so I figured that I might as well bring it up. Does it add any horse power when you have it on? Any info would be apprecated.

Jason (Pyro)
89 LX stock (soon to be modified)

·
Registered
483 Posts
dear pyro,

continue to use the POWER button and you will screw the tranny like I did and pay a good 1,400. Just get a manual for some power. i wouldn't advice you to.
You just simply stretch the gear ratios it is another way of overdrive...i used it for 6 months like a speedster and it i had bad problems...rebuilt tranny.
anthony

·
Registered
318 Posts
WHat Power button? FOr the Air Conditioner? The Eco Switch is for the Air Conditioner. If you use teh Eco button, it turns the AC on and of, to make it more fuel efficient. Where is this power button?

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ya i know the power button u are talking about And i noticed that it does make alot of difference When i drove it on economy it was ok but when i switched to power Yes it did go faster Im think its just the RPM When u drive on economy it just brings down your RPS and when on power it has them higher

·
Registered
268 Posts
It's only for auto tranny's. It just holds it in lower gears longer so you get more RPM's and power. I wouldn't think it would hurt anything, but maybe it does.
Beach.
'91 GT.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
The power button will NOT hurt the tranny. If anything it'll help it because the engine tends to lug a bit in economy mode placing additional strain on the torque converter. integrale4wd, your transmission must've had an underlying problem to begin with or it was coincidence.

·
Registered
483 Posts
Anarchy,

the power button on the MPV that my friend has...ruined his tranny...so I wouldn't fool around with it...want more power get a stick...all 4bangers should be stick.

Anthony

·
Registered
318 Posts
I woudl think if Mazda put a power switch on the car, it should be used, and not ignored. But if you feel like it is hurting the car more than helping it. Stop using it, in those conditions.

·
Registered
449 Posts
AT Econ/Power switch

toyota has them too. In japan anyway....

Anyway the switch would be located next to the cruise switch if you had an ATX.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
misnomer

No offense to integrale 4wd, but I wanna clear up a misconception...

quote:

"You just simply stretch the gear ratios it is another way of overdrive"

There are sooooo many people who have the idea that overdrive is something that makes a car have more power, accelerate harder, etc. There are songs about cars where the guy sings "I put my foot down and went to overdrive" or some such thing, and you always hear people talking about how they got into overdrive to pass some guy or whatever.

But....
Overdrive is NOT for making power or accelerating! Overdrive basically changes your final gear ratio for low RPM, high gas mileage cruising on the highway. Many old cars had manual transmissions w/ overdrive on the 2 top gears. So maybe it was a 4 speed, + you had overdrive on 3rd and 4th, so effectively it was a 6 speed trans. You'd use overdrive, like I said, for cruising.
I think as automatic transmissions got so popular in the last few decades people have just not had experience with O/D, or they hear the word and it sounds like something for making power and they assume that is the case.
When these mistaken people say "overdrive" what they REALLY mean is "the passing gear" or "downshifting".
However lots of automatics still have overdrive...there will be "D" and D with a circle around it or "D (o/d)" The D with the box around it on you shift gate is overdrive...it's for gas mileage gettin'.

I don't mean any offense to people who've made this mistake, I just cringe when I hear the word "overdrive" being used exactly opposite of how it should be. So let's all say "passing gear" from now on :)

And as for that "power switch". I had one on my old LX. It should have been called the "hill switch" or "mountain switch" because that's really what its good for...full throttle acceleration in the power mode and non-power mode is that same...part throttle acceleration is better though in "power" because it holds the lower gears longer. (I guess you guys already went over that above). Ok enough from me.

[Edited by antiSUV on 12-02-2000 at 03:18 AM]

·
Registered
158 Posts
Ya i agree to what u are saying Ive tested the POWER switch and the only thing it does is : It holds the gears longer Till about 6000rpms From first gear anyway

1 - 13 of 13 Posts