Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember reading soemwhere about being able to adjust the powersteerign from heavy to normal to light using a switch or soemthing..wheres that found??

·
Registered
2,813 Posts
yeah its under one of the front seats
u have three modes to choose from, normal, heavy or light, not sure whether thats what they are called, but its along those lines

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
can someone direct me to the exact spot and tell em what Im looking for I just want to check if its on nromal since the rack has just been repalced.

·
Registered
95 Posts
It's under the driver seat. There will be a sticker covering the little white switch. You will need a small screwdriver or toothpick to move the switch. Personally, I found the NORMAL position the best. Light is too light, feels like a EA falcon.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well mine feels heavy since having the rack repalced thoguht I might see if it would make a change eventually I found the switch :) had no sticker... I noticed not much difference between L and N modes I actually also read that the modes arent normal low and hard they actually mean High Feedback Sensitivity , Normal Feedback Sensitivity and Low Feedback Sensitivity Judging on the position of the wheel.

I left it on normal Im thinkign maybe my right hand side problem coudl be the cause of both my heavy steering on one side and also my abs failure..not sure how they'd be realted but Ill find out today after my mechanic plays with it.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Heres something interesting I found.

exactly. As woo mentioned and is the same in the US, n/a has ESPS (engine speed sensing power steering) and the turbo 2WS has ECPS(electronically controlled, velocity sensitive power steering). I believe 4WS does not have this feature but has a different unit altogether?

The ECPS control unit controls a solenoid valve on the power steering rack. The ECPS control box has a self diagnosis function (with a whole set of malfunction codes) and the switch on the box is also documented in the Mazda Factory Workshop manual. It says :

Note(ECPS)
Steering effort can be varied by the slide switch on the power steering control unit. (approx 10% variaton at 10km/h (6.2mph) or more)
If heavier steering effor is required: H setting
If lighter steering effor is required: L setting
I was always under the impression the turbo and non-turbo racks were different.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
rack was from a tx5 turbo tyre pressure are even its seems really difficult to drive and turno the hweel its set on nromal at the moment but mayeb ill try the light setting... any ideas are greatly appreciated..I reckopn once I fix the last 3 gremlins the power prob and my steering prob, and my abs light..the car shoudl be great *fingers crossed*

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
now above you ststed that velocity sensing..would the power steering computer use the same speed sensor as the abs?? as my abs light is on myabe indicating that a sensor is broken..could there be a relationship??

1 - 14 of 14 Posts