Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my power steering pump gave way while driving today...
came to a stop at a set of lights, and all of a sudden i hear a knocking noise..
i turn teh wheel and here some squeeling
stopped at a carpark, and the fluid was pissing out...

called RACV and he removed the belt running the AC and power steering pump..
drove it home (which was a bitch!)

now im wondering has anyone here removed a power steering pump before?
what are teh steps?

i had a quick stop over at ford spare, and he quoted me $110 for a power steering pump.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
i'm just going to guess... as i haven't done one of those before... can't u put a screw driver in there and lock it against the housing of the pump? or... if it doesn't have any gaps to put a screwdriver thru... is there a allen key type thing where the nut goes? i don't remember wat our p/s pumps are like... sorry :|

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Power steering pumps are easy - just buy one from a wrecker, take the old one off and put the newer one back on ... and then bleed the power steering system.

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
A socket set and half a day ... and maybe a wooden or rubber mallot.

And buy some Dextron III and any small fittings (clips and stuff) you may need (ask the wrecker for these if you need them).

I can't remember how much I paid for mine, but I'm sure the one for the 1G is going to be a different price. The best way to find a reasonable price is to do a ring around to mazda and japanese car wreckers.

Others with 1G's may be able to shed more light on this, but from what I recall your power steering pump is way more accessable than the V6's (which is attached to the rear cylinder bank in between chassis and more chassis).

·
Registered
500 Posts
did mine about a year ago, easy job. took about 2-3 hrs from memory (incl beer time ;)):

someone correct me if I've left anything out:
- Remove belt
- Remove PS pump pulley (stick a screwdriver through one of the pulley holes and lever off the side of the pump to lock while loosening nut - try WD40 if nut is rusted/seized)
- Disconnect hoses
- Remove 4 (or 5) bolts from pump housing and bracket
- Remove pump (may need to move/remove a/c unit to get it out)

Install reverse of removal...

pete

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well im fucking pissed!!!!
i cant get it off!

stuck a metal rod in teh holes, used a spanner to on teh nut, and it didnt budge
i tried doing an extended bar on the spanner, but it fukn bent my spanner!!!
the metal rod in the hole has made the hole bigger aswell from me trying to loosen it!

ive bashed the nut with an axe, and the fucker is on tight!!!
sprayted with WD40, still no good

how can i get a seized nut off?

·
Registered
500 Posts
impact wrench maybe...another option is to heat the nut up to bright red with a blowtorch or oxy. work the nut off as it's cooling down. might have to heat & cool it several times, but it always works. this will probably kill the bearing though and you may damage the pump if you're too liberal with the heat.

if you have a vice, it's a much safer idea to take the pump off to do this...will definitely have to remove a/c compressor to get it out with the pulley on though

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
you cant fit an impact wrench in there... or i would of done that a long time ago

my last resort is to get my air chisel out, and bash on teh nut with it

·
Registered
7,044 Posts
Spray a crapload of RP7 on it and then give it a bit a whack with a wooden mallot (failing that you can use a hammer, just be careful).

If that doesn't work, stick a breaker bar in there and give it a few hard whacks with a hammer - see if that does the trick.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
nothing fits in there...
i got some penetrene (industrial version of wd40) and sprayed it on the nut
FInally got it off!
now i removed the 3 bolts behind teh pulley, and now there is one more to get it off
seems like i have to undo teh bolt ontop of the pump, jsut b elow teh AC compressor!!
now i cant get that one off!!!
FFS

1 - 20 of 26 Posts