Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody,

I am new this board, did not know it existed until today, I have been on PT boards for awhlie though.

I saw that there have been many questions about the intermittent power steering failure at high speeds and in parking situations (tight corners). Following is a link and the post I did over at Probetalk.com. It gives some vaery informative answers.

http://probetalk.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1701063625
94 MX-6 2.5 5sp

Power steering had failed 1 1/2 months ago and was told by garage that Power steering pump had good pressure, that it must be my rack. So I just replaced Rack and Pinion a few weeks ago and everything seemed cool.

Last Saturday taking sharp turn onto on ramp I lost power steering again. I knew it had to be power steering pump this time, so I searched the boards and saw this was a problem that occured before but rare. Others had regained power, but I had not. There was no funny noises, it just took hurculean effort to steer car. So I ordered used pump, getting it Wednesday.

This morning my girlfriend goes to start the car, forgets it is in first and stalls it. Upon restarting THE POWER STEERING CAME BACK ON! Crazy! been working all day!

I am (obviously) still going to replace the pump, but why would it go on and off like this? Fluid was drained and replaced when I did the rack with premium ATF. No belt slipping. What gives?

Thanks in advance,

Tim

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is follow up post I did. Many people sugest a flush and fill with Redline or Mobile 1 ATF if the problem is slight. I suggest a new pump if it is dramatic (like mine was/is)

From Probetalk.com
I might have answers!

Check out this link:
http://www.howstuffworks.com/steering.htm/printable

It is either explained by this:

"The amount of flow provided by the pump depends on the car's engine speed. The pump must be designed to provide adequate flow when the engine is idling. As a result, the pump moves much more fluid than necessary when the engine is running at faster speeds. The pump contains a pressure-relief valve to make sure that the pressure does not get too high, especially at high engine speeds when so much fluid is being pumped."

Meaning that the valve is opening to far or sticking open so that there is no pressure.

or

"Variable-displacement power-steering pump - Some cars already utilize this pump. It reduces the volume of fluid being pumped (thereby reducing the power being used) at higher speeds and when the power steering is not needed. "

Maybe we have this kind of pump and it is malfunctioning and reducing the volume to much.

Just some possibilties.

Tim

·
Registered
305 Posts
Did you check the power steering fluid since you changed it to see if the level is still correct? It could be that there is a leak in the power steering lines. In fact, they sell braided-steel power steering lines with the appeal that they will never leak.

Or it could be that the when they put the new pump back on they forgot to tighten the drive belt.

Just some random, but relevant possibilities….

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.