Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My power steering pump needs to be replaced. The car is a 95 MX6 V6. Can I use a power steering pump from a Ford Probe V6? Just wanted to know if they're the same. TIA

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Yes, the Probe (and 626) are mechanically identical. Not sure if it varies by year, or by V6 vs. I4 however.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
should be the same if it's a v6. what symptoms are you getting from your dying ps pump? mine is making noises in the morning, as in bad noises that worry me, but then the noises go away after the car has warmed up a bit. trying to figure out if it's air in the hoses or something or if it's time to swap out a different pump. makes loud scratching noises, almost like a bearing is starting to go or something

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
should be the same if it's a v6. what symptoms are you getting from your dying ps pump? mine is making noises in the morning, as in bad noises that worry me, but then the noises go away after the car has warmed up a bit. trying to figure out if it's air in the hoses or something or if it's time to swap out a different pump. makes loud scratching noises, almost like a bearing is starting to go or something
Well now I'm not sure what to do next...

Symptoms: Occasional noise coming from p/s pump, mainly upon start up or colder weather. This led me to believe that I needed to replace the pump, however, I figured I'd try bleeding the lines first. That and it didn't sound like a screeching sound or metal on metal like a bad bearing resembles.

So I found the procedures to correctly bleed the air out of the p/s lines and I followed them step by step.
1) Raise the front end of the car up with jack stands/ramps with the engine NOT running
2) Fill to fluid level and leave resevoir cap off. Rotate steering wheel Lock-to-Lock at least 20 times and continue until no more bubbles appear from the reservoir container.

Well, I rotated the wheel at least 50 times and I STILL had air pockets in the lines!

I did disconnect a p/s line while putting the KLZE motor in the car and since then I've had issues with the power steering. Obviously where the issue originated from...

At this point I'm debating on whether or not to replace the pump along with using new crush washers and o-rings for the install, or just install install new washers, rings, and hose clamps.

However, I never noticed any power steering fluid leaks, and if air is getting into the system I would assume something would be leaking as well.

Any thoughts, suggestions? Not looking forward to pulling the pump if I don't have to...it's location is PIA, but I don't wanna do the same job twice...

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
actually, the only time i had that screeching sound was that one really cold morning. after it warmed up, it was fine and I gave the lines a good shake with the cap off and turned the wheel a bunch of times. I haven't had the screeching lately either. it could have just been air in the line. you can always get a ps pump just in case and have it on standby, that is if you can get one cheap or if you feel like pulling it from somewhere. according to haynes, it doesn't seem too bad of a job. I've disconnected the hoses from the top before and I don't think it's too hard to take the pump itself off besides undoing some tensioners. it'll just be messy because of the ps fluid going everywhere

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
If it's a squealing noise, and only on startup (when the belt is cold and doesn't grip so well), maybe it's just a slipping ps belt? (If it squeals worse when you turn the steering, it's the ps belt; if it squeals worse when you turn on the rear defrost or AC, it's the alternator belt.) Maybe the belt just needs tightening. Or maybe the idler/tensioner pulley bearing is going bad. Or maybe water pump bearing? Remove belt and see how they all spin.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts