Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you know... the power steering rack I replaced about 6 months ago is leaking from the boot AGAIN! Grr.... the last rack lasted 10 years, and this one lasts 6 months?! Anyone have any ideas why this rack didn't last as long? The new one was a remanufactured unit, so that could have something to do with it...

Anyone else replaced a steering rack on a non-turbo?

Another $300-400 bucks down the drain (I'll have to get an alignment as well). Oh well. This time, I'm not replacing it myself... I'll be taking it to a local shop.

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
No warranty on the new rack? I probably was rebuilt crappy. That really sucks.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think I know what happened. After I put the p/s rack in myself, I took it to a place and got it aligned. A week later when I was looking under the hood of my car, I noticed that one of my boots on my p/s rack was kinked and in a strange position......I think the guys who aligned my car last messed it up and poked a hole in the boot, which let dirt in and made it start leaking fluid.

I don't feel like messing with it myself again (it wasn't fun wrestling with that damn thing), so I'm goona have a different shop put the new one in and do an alignment. Hopefully they won't mess the damn p/s rack boot up!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts