Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently replaced my power steering pump after it began rattling, and after replacement, i found my car ('91 MX-6 DX) leaked p/s fluid. I traced the leak to the p/s rack boot, which was torn. Since fluid was coming out of this boot, this meant that the seal inside the steering rack had failed (probably due to dirt entering the internals of the rack due to the open boot). Now I am faced with the choice of dismantling the rack and rebuilding it, or just buying a new one all together. Does anyone know if there is a kit available that has the required seals, boots, etc. for a p/s rack rebuild? Or should I just go ahead and replace the whole rack (about $200 on carparts.com)?

·
Registered
1,426 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I contacted the guy at the eBay auction, and he told me that the rack would only fit cars years 88-89, and mine is a '91. However, I did find a different rack on his website (fordauto.com) off of a '91 probe that he quoted me at $75 plus shipping. Does anyone know if the GL and LX probes share the same steering rack? My guess is probably, but I'm not sure.

·
Registered
27 Posts
thank you

thanks antiSUV, I have been needing to get my steering rack replaced and this was exactly what I needed

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
No problem...Hope it turns out to be in good condition for you...For $35 I guess you can't go wrong.

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just an update on my situation. I got the old steering rack out, finally, and bought a new unit from the local parts store for about $200. Believe it or not, the hardest part of removing the rack was getting the oil pressure switch out of the steering rack. My model unfortunately had the screw-in type pressure switch (some models have a different bolt-in switch, shown in my Mazda shop manual), which was badly corroded and took massive effort (Put entire steering rack in vice, welded 24mm socket to long bar, clamped socket to pressure switch, turned out) to get out of the rack. The switch made a screeching noise as it was loosened....that thing was really in there!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts