Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about taking out the a/c for a while, now I am thinking about taking out the power steering pump right along with it. I have had old cars and trucks with out power steering before and it wasn't bad driving them. What I would like to know for sure is what would I need to take out with the pump, so that I don't fry the rack. Also has any one else tried this. Thanks for any info. Just for the record I won't be doing this until I get my wife out the MX6, and into her new car. So post away please!:rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Mazda did make a manual rack for these cars....might be hard to find though, and it's probably slower from lock to lock.

·
Registered
110 Posts
no problem

there was no mx6 or 626 made wihout p/s,but it is very easy to take out.once pump off motor take lines off and run a new hose from high out of rack onto low in rack.major difference in torque steer.takes out atleast half of torque steer........

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
I have the factory service manual and there is definietly a manual steering rack in there. I can scan it and post it if you want.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Using a power steering rack will work but its a bitch to turn. Take of the belt and try it some time. you wont even consider this "mod" if you do.
@-

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
Not only will it be an absolute bitch to turn (I've had the belt break on me once, not fun!), but you'll eventually damage the rack anyway. It wasnt designed to be operated in that manner.

Besides, power steering produces no drag when you're going straight.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There is a huge difference between driving a car with manual steering and driving one with a broken power steering pump. As far as just disconnecting the belt and seeing how hard it is to turn is close to ignorant. Because you are still pushing a pump that is full of fluid on both sides of the plunger. Its a force pressure area kinda thing. But hey thanks for the info on the manual steering in acouple more months I willl try it out and let you know impressions.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts