Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ive got quite a frusturating problem, after the car has warmed up after driving for about 15-30 mins, the power steering will get really stiff, it's highly noticable at low speeds such as car parks etc. the wheel will be very hard to turn, sometimes it will come back momentarily.

ive got no idea how to fix this.
Ive taken it to a few mechanics but they haven't been able to fix it, probably because they cant be bothered taking it for a test drive for more than 15 mins, so they wouldn't experience the problem, then they'd say "it worked fine for me"

another problem is while in idle the headlight will flicker quite noticably. The flicker seems to be synchronised with the revs, so the higher the revs, the faster the flicker and the less noticeable it is. i'd like to sort this problem out but dont really know where to beging.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,
Tom

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Hi and welcome ...

Does the engine idle ok ? or does it hunt ? what is your idle speed when cold.. and when hot ...

Check the fluid level for the power steering, and note its colour and smell. Brown and burnt smell should be replaced. Should be a nice red colour.

regards your flickering lights... Does the battery charge light flicker on the dash at all ? could be a bad earth on the battery, or a failing battery, what condition are the battery terminals in ? clean or green and fury ? check the connections to the back of the alternator and ensure they are sound also.

Oddy.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
Belt loose? or pulley stiff ??that long since i have had the mx does the power steering pump and altenator both use the same belt.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
PRETTY GOOD THANKS FELLA

Sorry for caps :) I still cant believe I missed the chance to buy my car back but hey!!

shows how long its been also that i give such a noob answer lol

how you doing ( no dont answer that i'll pop over to the UK section this weekend :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts