Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes, I did a search, (boy there is a lot of stuff with power and steering) but no answer. My ps makes like it's out of fluid and I've checked and bleed the system, but it still makes the noise once in a while. I am going to replace the pump, but I am wondering if there is a gasket I need to get before I rip the pump off. Anyone done this before??

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It's still there,, sort of. It pulses at the when you turn the wheel to go around a corner, but not when you change lanes (does this make sence?) Also, it only makes the noise once in a while. I can't actually pin it down when and where it will happen. Sometimes the car starts,, no nose and steering is great. One thing I did notice is that PS fluid is very runny (cold, not run yet) Is this normal or do I need to change the fluid?

·
Registered
209 Posts
This sounds like a pump issue, your cheapest solution is to change the fluid to see if that helps. Easiest way is to drain the ps reservoir (suck it out) top up with fresh fluid, then turn steering lock to lock a few times, drain fluid, top again. repaet this cycle 3-4 times.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have almost the exact same problem, a groaning noise when I turn the wheel at low speed around a corner or into a driveway. It only started when the weather started getting cold (I live in Minnesota). Does anyone know if cold weather can affect power steering?

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Check the belt tension, it's probably slipping on the pulley.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
kman said:
Belt slip is pretty obvious and is a high pitched screech, groaning and pulsing is very different.
Not necessarily, I've seen plenty of belts that slip without making any squeals (depends on what it's made of, and how old it is), and the groaning that results is from vibrations and cavitation inside the PS pump, which is a rotary-vane style.

·
Registered
209 Posts
snailman153624 said:
Not necessarily, I've seen plenty of belts that slip without making any squeals (depends on what it's made of, and how old it is), and the groaning that results is from vibrations and cavitation inside the PS pump, which is a rotary-vane style.
That interesting. I have another car that is having problems with the PS, it works fine when cold but as soon as the engine has been running for a couple of minutes I get reduced assitance and a grating noise from the PS pump when turning the wheel. PAS fluid is a clean colour and no leaks at all. If I get an assitant to turn the wheel I can feel vibration in the PS feed hose. I've already purchased a new pump for it not fitted it yet. I always wondered why the thing works ok for the first few minutes longer if its really cold out? Thoughts.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The belt was replaced in august of this year. The mechanic said the belt was cracked and wanted it replaced before he would sign off the safety. In the process he buggered up both tensioners and had to replace them too. I assume ( I know, never assume,, it makes an a$$ out of you and me) it was tightened proplery,, but I will check none the less

1 - 10 of 10 Posts