Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
first of all i drive a '94 mx6 ls, 5 spd and i think my power steering pump went, but im not sure.
i drove it fine to work in the morning, drove it back home from work fine. went to go get gas after work and it was fine there and back. came home and 15 minutes later went to go get subway and the power steering did not work. i drove it around the block to see if it would come back but it wouldn't. i checked the power steering fluid and it was full. there are no belts broken either. is it the power steering pump? and is there a way i can tell if it is before i go out and buy one?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i let it sit overnight and started it up in the morning and the power steering was randomly back. could this be from the lines having to be bled?

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
it actually works perfectly fine now. and it worked perfectly fine before it stopped working. but when it wasn't working, it wasn't working at all. it was hard to turn the wheel both ways in other words.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
I have this problem as well. The resevoir is full and the power steering will work and then quit...then the next morning its fine again? any other suggestions on this?

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
it sounds like air in the ps system , it may help to bleed it.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
it sounds like air in the ps system , it may help to bleed it.
Just went out and did that actually and didn't help. Gonna try it again tomorrow. Also when turning it from lock to lock it has a slight but constant clunking noise....

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
that's fairly normal , its usually the thrust bearing(s) needing greased but it wouldn't hurt to double check. is your belt glazed by chance?

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
that's fairly normal , its usually the thrust bearing(s) needing greased but it wouldn't hurt to double check. is your belt glazed by chance?
The belt looks fine, I just bought the car on Saturday...The guy I bought it from said he just had the water pump and timing belt changed and thats when this started. When I turned it lock to lock it did overflow the resevoir but still hard turning. thanks for the help.

Edit: Just did lock to lock again like 5 times, I took it around the block and still no power steering...As I was going I put in the clutch rev'ed it to 6 grand and its working again :S...The belt doesn't squeak or anything and like I said before looks fine. What do you think change the pump or rebuild? or could it be something else?

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
it does sound like the pump , id say you can find one on here or at a salvage yard if you want.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
it does sound like the pump , id say you can find one on here or at a salvage yard if you want.
Right on, I have a whole engine and tranny from my old 93 in my Garage....I gave the rack to a buddy which he threw away..Owell Which reminds me I need to get my all my black leather and interior out of his shop too :O Thanks for the help and I will update this once done to let ya know the status...Probably gonna be this weekend will do that and the coolant flush at the same time!!

·
Registered
38 Posts
Not to bump an old thread but did you ever solve or figure out this issue? I have a 96 4.0 mx6 and when I am coming off from idle at a stop light and am barely stepping on the gas all of the dash lights come on and i have power steering loss and the car has stalled. Its happened a couple of time here in the past few weeks and only notice it while coming off from idle or slowing down to a stop. Its ridiculous.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts