Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Intermittently, and always at high speed (such as on a freeway off-ramp), the power steering goes away. After a tap on the brake pedal, it (usually) comes back. Any idea about what's happening here? (My car is a 1995 6-cylinder.) Thanks!

·
Registered
921 Posts
Powersterring completly gone? How can you tell at high speeds anyways?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The power steering is conspicuous by its absence on a freeway off-ramp. Turn the steering wheel--even slightly-- and it becomes obvious. (Happens during lane changes as well.) Anything you may have heard is welcome advice--thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
this'll be a fun one to diagnose.

you sure it's only at highway speeds? what if you run the engine at 3300 rpms in neutral for a couple minutes... does power steering ever cut out then? how's your fluid? you sure its the power steering and not some other component temporarily binding (making the wheels harder to steer, giving you the idea the power steering's dead)

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Azl:

It seems to only be in fifth gear. No, not when the car is in neutral and revved up. For all I know, it may be something binding--interesting proposition! Let me have that checked out and get back with you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Same Problem w/ 93 4cyl

I have the same problem with my 93.

It also occurs occasionally at low speed turns. There is a hitch in the steering when trying to turn the wheel from the straight ahead position. I first began to experience this under the same conditions you describe...highway speed, slowing for exit ramp.

It doesn't happen all the time either at high speed or low speed turns, but it is ALWAYS just at the point of turning from dead ahead. Muscling the wheel through the sticking point and it is fine, but the surprise and the jerk of the turn can be dangerous.

HELP!!

·
Registered
184 Posts
I too have had that problem. It is the belt to your power steering. It is starting to go. With me I first had it tightened and it worked for a while. Now I had ti replaced and i haven't had the problem since.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, but I don't think it is the power steering belt. That belt was replaced (by the dealership) when I had the timing belt replaced (as maintenance, not as a failure). I'll keep trying, and let you know if something changes!

P. S.--it hadn't done it for awhile, then it happened again last week. On the off-ramp, I tapped the brake pedal a couple times--gently--and all was normal. I still haven't figured it out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts