Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone who had a power antennae switched to a non-power unit? i've already replaced mine once, and don't want to do it again. i didn't know if anyone knew how to do this or where to get a unit at, or if i could just pull one of another 2nd gen and that would work. any help/links would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance

·
Registered
141 Posts
lavajumper said:
has anyone who had a power antennae switched to a non-power unit? i've already replaced mine once, and don't want to do it again. i didn't know if anyone knew how to do this or where to get a unit at, or if i could just pull one of another 2nd gen and that would work. any help/links would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance
All 2g mx6's had power antenna's so you couldnt just pull a non-powerl one off.

The major thing that increases power antenna life is to wd-40 the telescoping part when up maybe every other week, keep it free flowing and clean. Motor's dont usually die on them, what happens is so much gunk builds up in the telescopes it just ceases and stops the motor. if you keep it clean and oiled, itll last quite a while, most likely over a decade atleast.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
see, mine just kinda stopped working. with my last one, i could hear the motor grinding in there tryin' to get it up, but it couldn't. this time, it's been about a yr, and now the motor isn't doing anything at all. like it's making absolutely no noise whatsoever. i haven't checked the connections, but they were all real good/solid when i did it, so i don't think that's the reason. and i did try using wd-40 on it pretty often, so i don't know what i did wrong. are there any other cars that we could pull one off that might work? thanks for any help and your advice. later

·
Registered
318 Posts
lavajumper said:
see, mine just kinda stopped working. with my last one, i could hear the motor grinding in there tryin' to get it up, but it couldn't. this time, it's been about a yr, and now the motor isn't doing anything at all. like it's making absolutely no noise whatsoever. i haven't checked the connections, but they were all real good/solid when i did it, so i don't think that's the reason. and i did try using wd-40 on it pretty often, so i don't know what i did wrong. are there any other cars that we could pull one off that might work? thanks for any help and your advice. later
Did you check the fuse? I believe its the METER 15A fuse. Also, if you are looking to replace with a non-power antenna, couldn't you instead just manually extend your existing mast by pulling it out/up?

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
ill be getting a hidden antenna when i paint my car. :tup:

my antenna broke so i pushed it back into its housing or whatever its called and unpluged the wiring harness that goes to the motor so that it stopped making that noise every time i turned the car on and off.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts