Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I just pulled into the garage at work, swiped my key card, and went to raise up the window. Not. I managed to get the switch popped off and wedged something in there to close the window, so I won't have to drive home in the snowstorm with icicles hanging from my nose.

Anyone know how to replace this switch (driver's side power window)? Specifically, what do I have to pull off to get to it?

Thanks for the help, sympathy, etc.

pw

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
damn power windows...

i thought my power windows switch was facked one night also. after checking the fuse, and looking around to see how to get to the main switch i turned my car off then back on again. tried to roll up the window and it rolled up. did you try that?

SolarSlash

·
Registered
459 Posts
YA GUY!!! been there done that!!1

Same thing happened to me I had to park my car inside the back fo the plant I worked at at the time cause it was raining.

You're going to have to take off the door pannel, there is a screw under the little pocket/handle thing and a couple of pinapple clips too. Other than that you're going to have to pull off the bottom (give it a good jerk, 5 or 6 clpson the inside I think) and then lift it straight up. Oh ya there's a screw in the door handle area too. Becareful not to pull anything extremely hard cause the door hangle and a couple of wires are attached to the pannel. You're going to have to replace the whole window module, I suggest a wrecker cause it's damn expensive to get one from the dealer, trust me!!! Once the door pannle's off you should be able to figure out how to replace the module, it's all not that hard really. You may also be able to fix your own switch if just the plastic broke, temporarily of course with some crazy glue but it'll only me a matter of time till it'll break again and make sure you don't glue anthing else to keep the switches down.

Hope this help and puts you on the right track at least. Someone else will surely have their suggestions too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow, you guys are fast!

Its definitely the switch - there was a little piece of the plastic broken off and stuck inside - unfortunately it went further inside when I was trying to get it shut, so I don't know if I'll be able to recover it.

Can't I just replace the plastic switch itself, rather than the entire unit?

·
Registered
459 Posts
If you are able to find the switch at a wrecker you probably could just don't use anything to move the window until you do you could end up wrecking the connectors and having to replace the whole thing. The dealer, unless you sweet talk a servce guy, will not sell or give you just the switch you'll have to get the whole module. Once the door pannel is off you may be able to recover your piece as well.

·
Premium Member
3,844 Posts
I had the same happen. I took the door panel off and took the switch apart to get the plastic bit you are on about. (that bit is quite fidgity) I then used a little super glue to repair it. I also changed the position of the two switches so the repaired one was for the passenger side as I dont use that one very often. OK the auto writing is on the wrong switch but it has lasted for 12 months now with no problems. (I do use the passenger side regular too)

·
Registered
806 Posts
Fix the switch

Here's what I did. Remove the door panel, and disconnect all of the connectors, there should be three. Take the switch out of the door by removing the two phillips head screws holding it in. I believe the switch box is held together by two solder joints, heat them up with a soldering iron and pull it apart. Now remove the passenger side button and move it over to the driver side and put it all back together. Now you can get the drivers side up and if you want put the passenger side button in for aesthetic purposes. I did mine like that for a year until I finally got a replacement. I may be a little off on some of this, because it has been a while. The basics though is take the switch apart and switch the buttons.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Same thing happened to me. Luckily I had my windows up when it broke. When I took out the window switch, my dad tried to take it apart to see what was wrong and he broke the electrical board or whatever the name of it is. So I just made him feel bad that he broke it and he paid for a new one from mazda. The dealerships sure love to rip us off on parts. I think it was around $110 just for a new window switch.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I did the same thing as MX6-UK, a little superglue fixed the broken plastic "stick" in the switch.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Broken board

I took a look at the switch that I just replaced when I got home and it has four small screws on each corner and two spade solder joints in the middle. I bet Dave's dad did not unsolder these two spade shaped connectors and tried to pry it open, just a guess. To figure out which ones they are, they are in the center of the board with no trace around them. I did not glue the piece back on since it didn't look like much to glue. It is definitely a very weak link.

Xeon

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought my car with the switch broke. If you need a workable switch unit then definitly go to the junkyard first. Mazda wanted over $130 for the switch and the junkyard let me have it for $5. Big difference bro.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, I haven't had a chance to take off the side panel yet, but I did pop out the passenger window switch (the top black piece only) and popped it in the driver's side. Now at least I can get the window down!

pw

1 - 13 of 13 Posts