Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My drivers side power window wont open anymore, and i think its the switch itself that broke. The switch feels different then the passanger switch when you press it, even with the car off, and the motor doesnt run when pressed.

I have one of those books detailing how to do maintance of this sort, but its a probe/mx6 book, and unfortunatelly they decided to explain how to take out the power window control panel in a probe, but didnt bother explaining how to do it in an mx6. The probe panel is a breeze, just pop it out and disconnect, but the mx6 does not have a seperate panel just for the window/mirrors controls. Is there any way to replace this switch without having to take down the entire door panel?

Please help!

·
Registered
99 Posts
you do have to pull it off

For about a year, my passenger side switch was f*ed and then i finally stuck the switch back in after i cleaned it. I got it to work both ways from driver's side, but only up from passengers. better than nothing. But you do have to take the whole panel off. Disconnect all wires, then unscrew the switch. Its a pain in the butt to take the circuit board off withough breaking it, but i managed.

·
Registered
87 Posts
This is a easy fix but i'll cost ya about $200 USD for the switch.
You'll hafta remove the entire door panel. Watch out for hidden screws on the inside door handle (it's under a piece of cloth), another by the lock flipper thing and another hidden plastic pin on the back of the door where it latches to the car. Also be careful when you pop out the door panel that you don't break any of the plastic retaining clips.
Once removed, just remove the old switch (2 screws, wiring harness) and swap. I did it about a month ago without any kind of book or instruction in just under an hour.
The worst part was paying $200 for the switch, which the dealer says is a very common problem on the mx's.

·
Registered
52 Posts
ok, i had this happen to me about three weeks ago and fixed the whole thing myself without spending a cent. (thanks again xenon) listen to what jtx6 said about taking the whole thing apart, and taking out the entire switch box. now, pull of the actual switches from the front of the box, just pull hard, they shouldn't break. when you take both of them off you will notice what is wrong right away, the arm that connects the switch to the motor inside the box is probably broken. i stuck a paperclip in there and snapped it back in. i also switched the switches so that i am not using the made one too much on the drivers side.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks a ton!

I got the switch fixed just the way you guys described it! I used a pencil (! hehe) instead of a paperclip for the time being... but i intend to find an mx6 somewhere in a junk yard and simply rip out the plastic switch and hide it in a pocket or something... free baby!

·
Registered
52 Posts
congrats. mine is still doing fine after a month with the paperclip!

·
Registered
806 Posts
hmikhael said:
(thanks again xenon)
you mean xeon, right? anyways, no problem and there are many ways to go around the getting raped by the dealer for $200 for a poorly designed button. they should really sell the button separately. i had mine rigged for a year until i bought a used one from our FS forum.

·
Registered
324 Posts
$200 US, damn that steep, up her in Toronto Canada, I bought the whole switch for $170 cdn with a 10% discount at the local Mazda dealership.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts