Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a bought a used window switch and figured now was the time to find out what exactly caused mine (and many others) to fail. There is a metal rocker switch that looks like a little like a V that has both ends flattened down a little. When you push the button it rocks it over and connects the terminal to allow current to flow. The problem is that like all metal when you use it so many times it eventually wears out and bends. Mine bent so much that it started to flatten out and couldn't make contact anymore. There is always the option of dismantling the switch and bending it back, but I'm guessing that wouldn't last for too long if you like to ride with the windows down a lot. But if you're careful taking it apart you can probably go for it and at least get some more use out of it until you can find a new one. Or you can short some terminals together so the windows go up or down together like I had to do for a couple of months. Anyway, there's my $0.02 on it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
i don't know

have u actually got urs to work from bending it? cuz since there are four rockers and only one of mine was bad i switch the rockers around and still the same switch didn't work even though i had switched the rockers. that makes me think its in the terminals that the rockers come into contact w/.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I took mine apart when it first broke, all the metal "V's" were still in good shape. Mine had something else wrong. :(

·
Registered
60 Posts
yeah

thats what i was saying as soon as it went bad i tore it apart. right now i have a power switch from an rx7 in it since they use the same mazda wiring plugs and its about the same size

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nope, I could just visually see they were slightly bent when I stacked them up on top of each other. I'll check it out later this week to see if it's still electrically sound, but there aren't any thin leads that I'd expect could have burnt out. Should only take me a few minutes to disassemble it again and check it.

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Forgot to post earlier, but mine is still electrically soudns and I can't imagine any of those big thick leads burning up. My money is still on those "V"'s being just slightly bent. It wasn't much, but I could clearly see they were bent when I stacked them on top of each other.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts