Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I'm having a problem with my power windows. They blow my fuses. I don't understand what could possibly be wrong. If I replace the fuse, it'll end up blown up like the one I just removed. Even if I don't have power on! Man, I have to get this thing cleared up, summer is comming and I can't open my bloody windows! Any suggestions?
It started about a month or so ago when I was starting the car and everything in the car just black-out. The interior lights, radio, everything went down. I turned the car off and started it again and everything was working fine again. Then I noticed this window problem. Pleeze, help me.
Mici

·
Registered
175 Posts
Try the obvious. Get a stronger fuse. It may make the windows go up/down a little slower but at least they'll work! Also, check to make sure the relay is proper! Later,

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
JDean55 said:
Try the obvious. Get a stronger fuse. It may make the windows go up/down a little slower but at least they'll work! Also, check to make sure the relay is proper! Later,
No, never do this!

The fuse is blowing because some part of the circuit is drawing too much current. Current equals heat and, if the circuit isn't protected properly (i.e. fused properly), the wiring or defective part (e.g. motor) may heat up dangerously, leading to a car-destroying fire.

deejay, can you be more specific: You say "If I replace the fuse, it'll end up blown up like the one I just removed. Even if I don't have power on!" What do you mean by this? Are you saying that, even with the key out of the ignition, the power window fuse is blowing?

Or is it blowing as soon as you try to use one of the switches, with the ignition on? If so, is it the driver's switch or the passenger-side switch? Or both?

Do the window(s) move at all? Do they move smoothly or do they bind at all? Have you noticed the windows getting slower or making noise as they move up & down?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
i dont believe that guy just said that... oh well.

yeah you probably have a short either in the wiring, switch, or motor itself. pull off your panel, disconnect the switch harness, pop another fuse in (NOT a bigger one), and if it blows, its in the wiring. you probably hav a pinched wire or something. if it doesnt blow... get ready to spend some money. quite possible its the motor or switches. and like Mike said...fill us in some more...

·
Registered
175 Posts
Sorry,

hehe.....I guess my way to solve the problem was wrong! Last time I take someone else's advice! ( Mazda Dealership Mechanic!!) Really, I know nothing about our cars, which is sad....but, i read this thread and while at the dealership getting a new license plate bracket, I asked the dude at the counter. (Head of Service) He was actually the one who explained how using a bigger fuse would help! Hey, sorry if I gave wrong info, but, it was in the words of a professional!
P.S
The Bracket I picked up was originally supposed to come with the car in 1993. The previous owner never had one. I only knew about it while looking through the deal papers! That's hopefully the last time i'll have to step into that place! It's "Jerry Gordan's Mazda" for any Winnipegors! I apoligize once again!

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
i wonder why he would say that it would make the window go slower???... wierd...

·
Registered
175 Posts
I should call back and tell him that because of his advice, my car has blown up! See what he says then! ( Do a Jerky Boys Theme!!) Anyway, sorry.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
naw tell him it caused a fire... you put in the bigger fuse, got in your car and drove for a few seconds before you smelled smoke... you frantically pulled the car over, almost caused a 10 car pile-up, and had to buy new carpet, stereo, and center console...hehehe.....

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Uh. Sorry for the missing information... Language barrier, I'm from Finland... Well, anyway, yes it does blow fuse even without a key in the lock at all. No, the windows won't move even a bit, the fuse blows immediately. They have been quite slow all the time I've had this baby. A year and a half or so. Well, I gotta get off that panel and see what I'll find.
Later
Mici

·
Registered
459 Posts
I had problems with my window module too. Get a volt meter and ckeck the switch and the wire line for impedance. I ended up haveing to replace the whole module, really easy to do yourself but the part new is expensive. You might also want to make sure the window's just not seised, you could have over heated the wires trying to put it down once when it was stuck and this could have caused your problems. Hope you are able to figure this out and you don't end up having to rewire anything.

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
actually that wont work either... because the fuse blows immediately after inserting it, that means there is a short BEFORE any switches, including the ignition switch, window switch etc. so wether the window is stuck or not is completely irrelevant and is thrown out of the equation... ill check my manual to see what color the wire is. looks like your gonna have to pull off your fuse panel and trace the wire looking for breaks in sheathing, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts