Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My windows are excessively slow - in particular when it's very cold outside (like -20) and the driver side has started clicking - it sounds like it's skipping gears on the track. It only clicks on the way down, going up it's fine but still a little slow.

I've had the panel off last summer and greased everything that moves with some good quality, synthetic grease (only because it gets so cold here I didn't want the white grease to turn so thick that nothing would move). The grease helped a little in the summer but overall they're not working well.

It almost looks like the tracks the windows run on are out of alignment - maybe because of the guy who broke into the car a year go - who basically tried to pry the windows out of their tracks and force them down to reach the door lock. Although the door looks like everything lines up well, If I grab the window frame and bend it inwards a little while the door is open, it seems to help the window move better.

there an adjustment for the window tracks? Do I need to buy some new ones?

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
it's the B pillar guide and the "button" that holds the window in the track, that is what's clicking.

·
Registered
730 Posts
I'm very interested in this outcome as my windows do the same thing...

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
you can go to the dealer to get the replacement part...but for now, easy fix would be make sure it's screwed down all the way and lube it up with some bearing grease. Don't use white lithium grease, as it gets colder, the lithium gets almost chalky. I already made that mistake LOL

·
Registered
819 Posts
Me too damn it, my whole window is out right now and I can't even drive my car right because of it. The clicking noise is coming from the motor trying to turn the little bead things that pull up or drop the window when you push the button. I found that out by removing the regulator from inside the door and hooking back up the electrical connections and replicated the sound it made. My window seems to drag somewhere on the track and I'm going to have to fix that too, I'm hoping that it's not the guides but I fear it is.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Me too damn it, my whole window is out right now and I can't even drive my car right because of it. The clicking noise is coming from the motor trying to turn the little bead things that pull up or drop the window when you push the button. I found that out by removing the regulator from inside the door and hooking back up the electrical connections and replicated the sound it made. My window seems to drag somewhere on the track and I'm going to have to fix that too, I'm hoping that it's not the guides but I fear it is.
there are two lube points I've found. The center track and the white plastic guide next to the door jamb. If you lube up the center track with some blue marine grease, should be good to go!

·
Registered
819 Posts
there are two lube points I've found. The center track and the white plastic guide next to the door jamb. If you lube up the center track with some blue marine grease, should be good to go!
I noticed that the white plastic guide has become pinched probably from trying to install and reinstall the window so many times. I'm going to replace it or try and seperate it some, maybe that's where my window is hanging up. I'll say this though the regulator that failed was the original one in my car so it lasted the better part of 22 years ( 5-87 production date ) which I consider pretty damn good for any car.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Mine is slowly slowly dying right now. I've lubed the hell out of my guides...though I did it with white lithium grease. I'm going to try blue bearing grease and take out the regulator, maybe find a different/stronger motor from another car and see if it'll fit. It's just the motor that turns the gearing/slide.

My 'button' is getting hung up though...that's my first hurdle.....

·
Registered
819 Posts
I ordered a motor through rock auto and should have it by tomorow, I hope that takes care of most of my problem. If I can find out where it's dragging then I should be in good shape.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Got mine back together today and everything works better. I in a way rebuilt the left side regulator including a reman motor and also switched the wheel that the motor turns because all the grooves on the wheel had worn out and caused the bead string to slip or make that clicking sound that most of use have heard one time or another. One trick that should work for anyone that tries this is to use the wheel off a spare passenger side regulator because it should have seen alot less use and thus should have most of its grooves left in it. The wheel is the key to this repair so if it's worn out don't bother putting it back together. One last thing too, just like with kinky sex make sure you grease the beads up really well and you should be set. Good luck !

1 - 11 of 11 Posts