Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my powersteering pump just went takin a friend 2 work, do u guys think the car is still drivable until i fix it or replace it?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
fix it asap. you can rebuild it if you haven't driven it too much. most likely the bearing is just gone and it's leaked all the fluid out. if you keep driving it without the fluids, you'll break all the seals and have something seize, then you'll need to buy a new pump. there's a how to in the faq section on how to rebuild the pump using a 203F bearing

·
Registered
392 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
naw i stopped drivin it until i fix it. i found out why i thought it was gone...it wasn't the pump, there was big hole in the bottom hose that goes to the steerin mechanism. that hole was done from the headers because da way it was installed so i'm replacing that hose the pump looks good tho. do u think its a good idea to still rebuild it tho since i already have it out?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
if you have it out already, i'd rebuild it just to be safe since the bearing is 15 bucks or less depending on where you buy it. if the line had a leak in it, the pump could have been running without fluid in the system, which is also bad for the bearing so I'd rebuild it no matter what. You can do everything yourself unless your bearing is stuck in the pump and on the shaft, then you'll need to get it pressed out

1 - 5 of 5 Posts