Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:confused:

If you have been to PT 1stmp3*** has a thread about this topic but all the replies have been arguments:rolleyes: (expected)

So Id be glad if any of you can give more technical insight to ur feelings. Ive been researching the specs on the sony amps that im thinking of getting and also some others IE Rockford Fosgate, etc. The specs are are around the same area. SPL ratings around the same, RMS is the same( the ones i compared), IS IT JUST THEIR QUALITY that is driving everyone away, what are the problems u have had?im just looking for some decnt thump not COMP levels

·
Registered
609 Posts
I don't understand some people around here either. If you don't have competition grade stereo equipment they seem to nock on you. My Sony Amp kicks ass, and for the amount of money I spent, it had the most wattage. It has a one year warranty which is the same with every other brand except Fosgate. Sony makes some pretty dang good products and I don't think that they would let the quality of their amps ruin their reputation. But I do have to admit that the quality of their subs isn't all hot. I have heard them and it causes me to wonder but then again what do you expect out of a $50 sub. Go with the Sony amp.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
well heres my opinion (not trying to knock you guys), but sony is living off there rep from 10 - 20 years ago when there wasn't as much hi end audio, and they do pretty well, l8ly some of there stuff has been getting interesting, but i would rather spend the extra money for alpine, or some company who makes only car audio to get the sound i want. U can't expect a company to tackle all ends of audio without making mistakes, or diverting their attention. Where as a company divoted to car audio is thinking of just that, so your quality will be higher, they have been doing it longer, etc, but thats just my opinion, it all depends on how u listen to ur system too. If ur happy with sony, then thats all that matters right :)

·
Registered
321 Posts
I agree that ppl knock sony cause they don't have much hi end stuff. lemme tell ya something: i am a home audiophile. I have a $15000 system which I have built up using B&W, Krell, Cyrus etc. Sony doesn't sniff their arse. but in a car, u show me something which has such a major difference to sony car audio quality to call it hi end and call sony consumer market stuff. CRAP. for cars, sony rox!! (unless u spend maybe $10000 and get some new mark levinson car audio!)

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good points ppl, so who has had a bad experience with Sony amps does anybody know about th 754sx model 200Wx2 @4ohms it isnt that bad rite good enough to power most subs out there? Why doesnt rockford fosgate give a warranty?

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
wooo hoooo!!! I'll enjoy this thread!

first off i sell all this stuff for a living!! Home and Car A/V equipment, and just like the fella that mentioned his Krell, B&W system...

The reasons you have all of that equipment is because it is better, if you look at a spec sheet those krell amplifiers will resemble an amplifier with 1/10 of its cost!!!

same thing for Car Audio, its all about signal and processing,

A mile to me, is a mile to all of you all, all miles are equvilant, standard measurement... guess what a "watt" isn't!! , A sony watt will sound different then a Krell watt, hell 20 years ago, speakers weren't even rated in watts... you'd walk into a shop and there would be no discussion of wattage.

Also you have to take into consideration of dampening factors, signal input sensitivity, how many db/s w/ 1 meter and 1 watt.

so to compare on a spec sheet succesfully you would have to really know what you are doing. after years of dealing with this stuff spec sheets have become something that i dont even look at!!

Like Drex was saying: you have to look at the goals of the manufacturer... sony gears their Xplod line to 16 year old high school kids, they make it apeal to them.. notice how Alpine doesnt have a $199 deck that has 14 different faces and 3 quad-dillion bouncing lights.. when you buy a $199 sony or a JVC kameleon.. what do you really think you are paying for.. quality or the pretty dolphins jumping on the display???

To say that you can justify the reason of paying 1000's upon 1000's of dollars for Krell and what not for the home, and saying it doesnt matter in the car, is very wrong, give me one good reason why it doesnt matter in the car.. in fact i can give you reasons why it matters MORE in the car

In your home your not dealing with road noise and resonating metal!!!

I would challange anyone to install a sony cd player in their car, w/ a decent set of speakers, then install a alpine, chance are you will have to back the gain down, because their pre-amps are much more dynamic, and you will be blown away by the difference.

For a while sony was decent in the car scene with their ES line, however they have pushed the Xplod line and it is marketed very well, I don't blame them at all for what they do!!, Theyre making money!!, and will continue because the average consumer doesn't know any better!!!

I'm not attacking sony as a company, its just simply where the stand in the scheme of things!!

JBL and Cerwin Vega used to be the bomb speakers, what happened??? , simple they got more and more popular, so popular that they ended up in all the mass merchent box movers (circuit city, best buy, and HH greggs), well now as a company they have to triple the quanities of speakers the produce, thus QC (quality control) goes way way down, From selling Rockford Fosgate for several years, and watching how they grow!! I'd be willing to bet $1000 dollars that they will be the next company to lead this example. If anyone is familar with Rockford then you already now that their current amps or way sufficed as a opposed to older amps!!!

So over all Sony is a mass merchant made for the everyday Joe Schmoe, just like HONDA's.. da da dummm!! we drive MX-6's folks not to many of us out there as opposed to the rest of cars on the road!!! , lets do the same for our audio equipment!!!

-Scuba

·
Registered
305 Posts
Whether or not to buy sony car audio has been a huge debate on probetalk. I can't understand it myself, but in my opinion many people believe that japanese made car audio, specifically amps are inferior to American made stuff. They believe this because Japanese car audio in general is assembled by a machines, while Amercian car audio is usually assembled by hand. Personally, I have been very satisfied with the Japanese stuff such as kenwood and sony, but honestly I have found some of the American stuff to produce better sound quality, but given the price I would go with the Japanese stuff if you're on a budget.

·
Registered
609 Posts
quality or the pretty dolphins jumping on the display???

That's Pioneer!

You (ScubaSteve) were stating that because JBL and Cerwin Vega are sold at circuit city, best buy etc. that their quality has declined. Last I looked, circuit city sold Alpine products as well. Sooooo, according to that reasoning, Alpine has declined in quality as well because they are sold at one of these places.

And whoever said that marketing to teenages means that they have poor quality? Are teenagers not worthy of high quality audio? I think its a smart move. What majority of age groups have car stereo setups? Teenagers or Adults? I don't see too many middles aged drivers with subs in the back and a fancy head unit. If the car stereo world depended upon adults for income, they would all be living in cardboard boxes. Plus teenagers are more willing to dish out hundreds of dollars to sound good. I am trying to follow your logic but I must have taken a wrong turn.

BTW Fosgate has a two year warranty!

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
"I'm scuba sam; scubasteve's dad!"

I agree with scubasteve. You install a sony head unit and an alpine unit with comparable wattage the alpine will sound better. I love sony equipment for my home like my DVD player but their car audio blows. I used to work for Circuit City and it was not uncommon for manufacturers to "focus" their efforts in some areas and just throw the public a bone in others simply to grab what they can in market share. Sony is probably best at doing this. They are smart because it works.

·
Registered
321 Posts
a quick thought for all u guys arguing about the companies' marketing: average age of consumer is 20-35 in terms of car audio. if i rememba correctly, they make up about EIGHTY FREEKING PERCENT of the car audio market. pls dont tell me they r cheap for going for 'kids'. they are BRILLIANT (and making enuf money to show for it). just don't be daft now and throw a lawsuit on them (coughtallusiontosomereallystupidcoughthingtheamericangovernmentdidcough)

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
hey hey hey, .... first off i didnt say that anything sold at Circuit or whatever was garbage ... i was simply stating the goals of a manufacturer!!! .... Im justifying the fact of what it take to produce something here... i deck that retails for $199 that has a display on both sides and all these attractive features, cant simply surpress in quality ... I'm not saying that flashy radio's are bad.. in fact i own a flashy radio ... Alpine has flashy decks (cda-7975) for example ... but notice it is at a $500 price point, as a company they focus on sound first... you compare the $199 radios from both manufacturers and the difference has to be obvious.... Sony isnt giving the same quality and throwing in all the lights and displays cause their nice!!!!!!!

Marketing to teenagers is a brilliant Idea, if i were them i would do the same exact thing!!! Its all about money anyway!!, I never said teenagers dont deserve or need anything nice... But they do buy these radios for the attractiveness, its a fact!!! Alpine even does this in their upper models, last years cda-7863 went for $399, they exact same radio... everything exactly the same.. but the face was silver and a bright cool blue retailed for $499, time after time i saw younger people pay the extra for the silver and blue... the people that way go with the $399 model where generally older!!! ... I only saw this everyday because it was me selling it!! This what im basing the whole debate on.. my years of experience in this feild!!

And yes if you compare Cerwin Vega or JBL to the older days, product is no where as good!!! , It's a guarenteed buisness fact... when a company had to start mass producing thing, quality is definatly going to fall...

As for the dolphins... Kenwood and Pioneer both have them... maybe somebody else by now!! IT's a trend. again flashiness isnt bad, but look at Alpinie, Kenwood, and Pioneer. Now compare them with Sony and JVC... Pioneer, K-wood, and alpine focus on quality and they try to make quality more prevalent in their base models.... as you move up the line you get flashiness,

As for 80% of the market belonging to 20-35 year olds, i would find that hard to belive... i would give 80% to 16-28 year olds, but hey they may be just my part of the country!!! Just going by who i sell stuff to in my shop!!

in regards to this topic... Sony offers to a different consumer base, if you want to flashy radio at a cheap price, and cant tell the quality difference then by all means go with the sony!!, Other than that a suggest a Alpine, Pioneer or Kenwood.. In that order!!!

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
among average stuff - the sonys hold their own well... i mean the 200$ sony xplod deck will sound like the 200$ kenwood deck, like the 200$ blau deck etc....

their 200$ amps will sound aliek also. mainstream marketers watch eachothers specs and prices, and compete accordingly... if pioneer makes a deck with features similar to sony's 400$ decks, dont expect them to price it inline with the 200$ models...and everyone at the general consumer level will have a gimmick, whether it be bright red, dmask, dolphins, 27^nth power Dbass, xbass, etc etc etc... but in terms of features and quality - in the same price-range they will be about the same. (in general- of course there are exceptions... but i mean among the broadscale manufacturers that dabble a little in every market.)

I've even heard a few very decent systems put together almost exclusively with xplod stuff... personally i think fo0r the money a person could do better with MTX, RF, or other car-only manufacturers,, but hey whatever floats your boat.

however - i hate gimmicks... but its really hard NOT to buy into a gimmick these days.. almost everyone has one!

but compare a 12" xplod subwoofer to a plain jane (even kinda ugly) adire shiva 12" sub and you will drop your jaw at the difference.

adire audio is one of the exceptions in my book because their subs are holy cow incredible, but they look like a speaker from 15-20 yrs ago... no gimmicks, no chrome backplates, etc...

anyways, getting off topic. sorry.

So now MY reason for not dealing with sony... it has nothing to do with their quality or anything liek that but because of the sony products that i have had - any that had problems required a HUGE hassle to get repaired - even if only 3 weeks old!!! their warranty honoring is problematic.. at least for me it was... which has tainted me against future purchases. i mean walkmans or cd players here and there but what did it for me was a 3,000$ vaio laptop i bought 2 years ago that had severe color shift on the lcd, and numerous other video related problems... (dead pixels, like 75 of them erf..)

it was about a month old when the video stopped working altogether. 1_month. the screen died. caput. gone.

they fixed it, claiming warranty status, and returned it... i never recieved an estimate or authorized billing... and they even said straight out yes this is a warranty repair. but then i get a bill like 2 months later for 1200$

WTF!

the only way i got them to honor that warranty was by sending all my paperwork, pictures of the laptop (they claimed it must have been dropped) etc to a lawyer and have him write them a nice little letter.

so - thats MY reason for not buying sony... but in terms of quality - they are general consumer level.. not high end... but theres nothing wrong with general consumer level stuff.. i have a mcintosh amp and processor at home, but readily hooked up a sherwood tape deck to it, and a (gasp) fisher cd player. these were very mainstream and "general" consumer market... but it did what i wanted it to.

sony competes well in the general consumer market... so comparing them to higher end stuff isnt really fair... but at the same time it simportant to note that sony is not high end./

the sony deck vs a kenwood or pioneer HU, amp, etc of similar pricing will all perform similarly.. maybe the kenwood has a nicer security feature, or the pioneer has better pre-outs or the sony has better EQ... but overall they will be similar.

ok sorry for the long post

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Goatcrapp said:
sony competes well in the general consumer market... so comparing them to higher end stuff isnt really fair... but at the same time it simportant to note that sony is not high end.
I don't know. I'll stick with my earlier comments about manufacturers "focusing" efforts in different areas. I would say some of Sony's XBR televisions are pretty high end. Sony knows that they have something really hard to beat with the tech in those TV's and they exploit that. Sony doesn't feel that it is worth the effort to put out high end car audio simply because it would be too difficult for them to compete in that area. They can make lower end car audio and still make good profit without spending all kinds of $$$ on all the research and tech.

·
Premium Member
10,652 Posts
yes, youre right... the tv's are excellent, and sony makes some of the best vid projectors i've seen at any price..

i meant more along the lines of car audio.. sorry - shouldnt have generalized!

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
actually sony's XBR's are nice, but if you compare the panasonics TAU series blow them away... but popularity always wins.. i sell both doesnt matter to me ... I get paid .. once again.. SONY.. Shit only not yet... hehehe...

a $199 dollar sony deck, does not equal the quality level of an alpine or pioneer the same price, simply because the $199 sony deck has its cost spent on lights and the ect. ( its geared attractiveness), while the other spends its cost and quality sounding materials... No one may believe me... but sony and JVC does not make a radio at the same price point, and the same quality as an alpine or pioneer.. but throw in all the lights and shit for free.... simple understanding.. those lights and displays cost money and they eat up a bigger portion of the $199 then the other "more qualitated manufacturers do"

-Scuba-

G

·
that's what happens when an aging company tries to catch up with the rest of society! i bought a sony xplod deck because it was the best sounding cd player for under $175 in the store, but it sounded like shit in the car! i had to spend a couple hundred more on a big amp to get around the head unit's easily-distorting power. Fosgate amps are waaayy underrated and they kick ass!!

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
I have had mixed results w/ Sony car audio. I have a Sony ES CD deck that still works well after 3 years... it also sounds excellent (it has 4 volt preouts), and I have Sony ES 6 1/2" 's in the rear deck that have also worked well, but I had a Sony ES 150X2 amp that burned out on me.

I personally like my Rockford Fosgate setup... it's been quite reliable. (see my signature for the setup)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts