Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone ever seen this intake: http://www.prmracing.com/

I'm thinking of getting it, but I'm not sure if it is safe to use like many cold air intakes as you run the risk of water getting in the engine. Can anyone shed some light on this issue?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Its a lot safer than a hotshot since the pipe sits higher in the engine bay... but there's is still a small outside chance of water injestion is you roll through a 2 foot deep puddle.

at least you can easily remove the downpipe in about 15 seconds in case you get bad floods in your area.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Get you enough cool air in the filter in this way?
Would this be better then a K&N airfilter?
So a few questions to discuss about it. ;)

·
Registered
488 Posts
You will defintiely get enough air using a PRM filter. Look around the site and you'll see an Probe on there. It's owned by Jerry, the owner of PRM, and I think it is still the most powerful NA KL-03 engine out there. Needless to say he has done some headwork adn other stuff, but it does go to show that the PRM flows some serious air.

·
Registered
925 Posts
K&N Filter will not give you a noticable advantage over your airbox.

When I got my PRM installed I talked to the owner and he feels that its useless to just put a K&N Filter on. You are still pulling hot air from the engine bay.. instead of the cold air which you would get through a CAI.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The generation 2 K&N air filter system has improved the hot air delimma a bit. It has a plastic thing around the head of the filter which is designed to sheild hot air away from the filter.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
But still do you not run the risk of getting water sucked up in the engine on a rainny day or if you drive into a big puddle?

·
Registered
281 Posts
Lightrida said:
But still do you not run the risk of getting water sucked up in the engine on a rainny day or if you drive into a big puddle?

Yes... but you have to realize that you would need to run into a puddle that is over 2 feet deep, unlike a hotshot which can suck in water from a puddle which is less than 1 foot deep since the filter rests so close to the ground.

Don't get me wrong though, the hotshot should probably make 1-2whp more than a un-modified PRM once the car is moving, but you can attach a pipe extending the prm pipe and turn it into what I like to call "PRaM" ;) since you get a ram-air effect and that should make more power.
Also the PRM filters last A LOT longer between cleanings since they are not exposed need the ground.

G

·
I'm the owner of that black Mx-3 on the webpage www.prmracing.com

I have seen thesel filters inside and out and I have hundreds of emails about how happy people are with their intakes

Just call Gerry and he can tell you all about it.

My PRM sucks air right from the bottom of the bumper.

I have a 3 inch speaker port installed and it has a proper rubber duct into the PRM tube.

Its getting true ram air effect. I know its like vacuuming the streets but ity works great at the track.

When I know its going to rain I disconnect the duct from the PRM tube and leave it. This way fresh air still enters under the hood and I dont have to worry about going 2 feet deep in water.

takes a minute using a flat screw driver for peace of mind.

Steve

www.cybertekguy.com

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Cybertech:

So in other words, you feel comformable driving with your PRM filter in the rain (with the port detached)?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts