Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright guys....I was about to buy a HKS intake for my 6, but it seems that all you all talk about is either the PRM or the HOTSHOT...I cant get the Hotshot cause it sits too low to the ground, so I want to know which is better (between the HKS and the PRM) and why?!? What is the true difference betweem them? Less HP or what? Can you tell the difference in your speed/acceleration/HP/take-off? Just things I need to know before I purchase one or the other. Thanks....peace.
-krazy-

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone going to help me??

Alright guys... I know you all can help me out..please I need to know these facts....peace.
-krazy-

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
As far as I know, the HKS filter is just that, a coen filter that will sit in place of the factory air filter box. This setup is definitely not cols air. Though it will suck in some of the hot air that the engine omits, it's not as bad as people make it sound. The PRM intake is a cold air intake that places the cone filter half way down the engine compartment in an area that's almost directly behind the radiator. here it will grab more cold air than if it was sitting in th efactory location. Th eHotshot intake is like th ePRM but lets the fiter sit at the very bottom of th eengine compartment, resting on the mud guard. In a mostly dry, clean location, this would be ideal. However cars go over dirt, mud, gravel etc and all these things can clog up yuor filter. below are 2 pictures of th eHotshot intake and a PRM intake.

Hotshot
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Shop/5212/Piping.JPG
PRM
http://www.geocities.com/jpmx6gt/PRMIntake.jpg

This is how low my filter sits with the Hotshot intake. I had it for almost 2 years now and only had a problem once when I ran over a 12" puddle (or river rather) on my way home in th emiddle fo a rain storm. Luckily I managed to fix the problem andth ecar runs lik enew now.
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Shop/5212/Undercar.jpg

In order to avoid this problem, i would go with the PRM intake over the Hotshot. I'm actually going to be cutting the hotshot to make it the same lenght as the PRM that way I can have it all year around.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
932 Posts
JPM has pretty much hit it on the nose. I like how the hotshot looks. So that's why I bought it. There is a problem on how low it sits. I never have had a problem with mine. I really hate that little filter the PRM has it's ugly. It looks like slime or something. Anyways if you live in a good climate I think you will be fine. I live in sunny Southern California so I have no problems. I heard this seems to perform better then the rest. But, I'm not sure. Go with Hotshot or PRM. Both are cold air and will give you the best performance.

·
Premium Member
3,965 Posts
Hello team,

I own a 94 Mx6 Ls and I'm basically new to this Mx6 Club and I just wanted to know what website to go to for the PRM Cold air intake system and what is the price for it????

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PRM Website.....

Hey Rubstr,
I know you can find the PRM Cold air Intake at http://www.corksport.com, and the price for it on that site is $179. Everyone says it is awesome, so I am bound to get it also. Hope this helps rubstr...peace.
-krazy-

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Power-wise, I don't think there's conclusive evidence that one is better than the other, though they both help to the tune of 3-5HP or more. In comparing them, they are so close any meaningful variance is swamped by the effects on HP of other uncontrolled variables.

I have a Hotshot that I use in the summer months and have never had a problem, though I do keep my eye out for deep puddles and standing water with it. I will say that the filter does get dirty very fast and when I shake it out, I get alot of little stones, sand and even bugs out of it. I have a shorter K&N RE0930 filter than it appears JP has on his car and my filter doesn't hang that low. Still, the problem regarding water ingestion isn't so much where the bottom of the filter is but more where the bottom of the pipe is. Shorter filters may not get as much cool air but they are better protected from road hazards by the splash guards.

For the winter, I put on my HKS Super Mega Flow. I'd rather the KL suck radiator air than have the air filter get slush and ice and road salt and Gawd knows what else all over it. The HKS isn't as bad a filter as I thought it would be. The car seems to like it though cool ambient temps help here I think. On a hot August day, stuck in traffic, I'll be glad to have the HS back on :)

[Edited by Mike 94PGT on 11-27-2000 at 11:58 AM]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts