Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
which intake is better, the hotshot intake or the prm intake? by better i mean price, durability, and performance... please help

·
Registered
511 Posts
home depot - for around $50 you can get just about the same performance and customize it. my filter is right on the MAF with ABS piping running down to the splash guard and pointing forward. this way i feel safe when it rains, as my filter is up nice and high. search for other types, but this is the cheapest way to go.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Hey surfstar, I'd like to see pictures if you have any. I'd much rather go with a prm style, than a hotshot if I can make one myself.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well, that didnt help too much... but thats ok, imput is greatly appreciated. so which is better guys? prm or hotshot? i need help with this cuz i just got paid...;)

·
Registered
543 Posts
here is a link with the same set up that surfstar is talking about wich is set up like a prm, http://www.mtco.com/~westcj/Brian/favorite.htm#9" K & N cone filter

if you are looking for a hot shot type filter check out my web page on my sig. they both will both put out the same amount of whp(4-7), so it is just a question of preference})

·
Registered
511 Posts
the link above is similar to what i have, but seems like more work. on probetalk.com there are some good threads about HD CAIs.

what i did with mine, is buy a heat-shield Ractive filter ($35 plus shipping), then go to home depot or your local hardware store and buy:

4" to 3" rubber adapter in the plumbing section - has hose clamps on it for tightening
2 x 3" ABS piping 90* bends
about 3-4' of ABS piping 3"

in order to check the size for the piping, just make sure that the bend can fit in the 3" end of the adapter and the piping will fit in the 90* bends.

now i set mine up by this way: filter goes right on the MAF, the the 4" to 3" adapter (4" end over the filter), then a 90* elbow, then about 7.5" (can't remember exactly) of straight pipe, then the other 90* elbow bending the opening forward. mine sits on the splashguard with the opening pointing out of the hole in the splash guard. i also glued some wire mesh over the opening to prevent big bugs and leaves from getting in.

another way to do this is to use 3" aluminum dryer venting instead of ABS. this way is actually louder of an intake, but the aluminum can easily be damaged, will transfer heat faster, and is not as smooth flowing.

oh, and as for the IAT sensor, i drilled a hole slightly smaller in the first 90* bend, then threaded it in there nice and tight. if you can't get a tight fit, use silicon to seal it good. and you may have to cut back some of the wire covering in order to make it reach the ABS bend.

sorry for making anyone read this long thing if they didn't want [email protected]

·
Registered
25 Posts
will this work

y hello out there, listen if i got a hot shot cai for example does anyone know if i can avoid most common problems by simply cutting the pipe ( can be done with custom set up too ) inserting an AEM air bypass valve and covering the filter with an INGEN heat/splash guard ? any one got input ??? holla back [email protected] thanx

1 - 9 of 9 Posts