Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
please state the obvious and not so obvious diferences between these two cars.

just the v6 models

everything from interior to exterior engine design and placement

·
Registered
104 Posts
The body is different looking obviously.

No matter what people say, I believe the MX6 is slightly faster in the 1/4 mile do to its lessened weight. But the difference is insignificant.

If buying one of the two it comes down to two things.
1. What do you like better in terms of look
2. Price range

The Probe is generally less expensive

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Like he said, it's mostly looks. The MX-6 has classier looks inside and out in the opinions of most.

The interiors are completely different with the Probe looking really "Ford" while the MX-6 is more the Japanese norm for interior style.

MX-6s also have higher resale values (they cost more when new).

Tyson

·
Registered
358 Posts
More differences...

The suspension is a little different, and generally, I think the MX6 rides a little softer than a Probe, but this is a trade off for handling. The MX6 uses Tokico struts, and the PGT has KYB struts. I think the gearing is also slightly different.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good i like that idea about the interiors different

i don't think i've ever been inside a probe before

the struts. how much of a handeling difference is there between the mx6 and probe stock?

i've heard about a strut bar that goes in the front of the car and helps prevent the car moving side to side, so much info on this car i love so much.

thanks everyone for your help

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
Strut tower bars are a pretty common addition to all cars. They do make it a little stiffer in turning from what I understand.

The Probe GT (1993) I drove a few months ago did roll a little less in turns than my 95 LS, but it did not ride as well. That's pretty much how they're supposed to be, I think.

Tyson
95 LS (for sale)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
actually, motor trend compaired both of these cars and said that even with the smaler tires and smoother ride and came up with higher salom and g numbers on the mx-6.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Roach said:

No matter what people say, I believe the MX6 is slightly faster in the 1/4 mile do to its lessened weight. But the difference is insignificant.
you're kidding right? ;)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Sister car to PGT

I remember this topic came up on Probetalk.com, whereby the probers say the the mx6er is a sister car to the probe, what id like to know is which car was actually manufactured first?

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
I'm not sure which came out first, but I think the MX-6 did. It started in 1988 when Mazda decided to give a new name to the two-door 626 (Which is all an MX-6 was / is). In the >87 body style of 626s, the two doors just didn't have their own name.

I think Probes came out in 89.

Regardless the Probe uses a lot of Mazda bits underneath, except for the 3.0L (Taurus) LXs of the first Probe generation.

Tyson

·
Registered
50 Posts
heheh

yeah well the probe is still faster heh

·
Registered
548 Posts
Um, ok, I did alot of reseach when I first got my mx-6 and I learned alot. Everything I read was pretty much what I thought except that bit about the 3.0 in the 1st gen probe. Where the hell did that come from. Both first gen's had one motor. The 2.2 Mazda four. With the option of the turbo. Some of the 1st gen mx-6 even had the 4ws steer option. From reading many late 80's Car and Drivers I have also learned that the probe was originaly supposed to be a Mustang. However public backlash killed that idea which is why the Mustang Fox4 chasis didnt come out until 94'. Ford had put its money in the Probe as the next, more efficent Mustang. Otherwise the only noticable difference for the second gen's is the stiffer ride in the Probe and its lower resale.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Huh,well ya learn somethin new every day. Thanks for the info mts3.

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
No prob. Like you, I was very surprised to hear of a V-6 1st gen Probe so I had to look it up myself.

Tyson

1 - 17 of 17 Posts