Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
theres a noise coming from the turbo after every rev when it comes back down to idle, kinda hard to hear in these 2 videos, one taken from outside and one inside. and i do have an exhaust manifold leak. anyone else been through this?
dunno what could be wrong. something with the turbo most likely. i'm also not gettin full boost anymore, only after 4500. i'm also burning lots of oil but not big leaks on the motor, most likely the turbo. in 2 days i'm changing the manifold and turbo gaskets, hopefuly my turbo ain't to bad so i can still use it and also hoping the noise will go away and will get full boost sooner like i used too. anyways i know it's a probe (90) i'm posting here cuz i'm getting no response on probetalk... suggestions are much apriciated and prayers for my bolts as well :angel: cuz if they break i'm fucked:sigh:
http://www.zippyvideos.com/1743857692328816/mov02081/
http://www.zippyvideos.com/3522450992328966/mov02082/

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
Sounds and looks like an exhaust manifold leak. Take the inlet off, reach inside and see if you can feel any shaft play. This works better if you take the exhaust elbow off too. You don't have to take the turbo off nor the downpipe. Just remove the 5 17mm nuts on the exhaust elbow and loosen your brace underneath. You can easily seperate the exhaust elboe from the turbo to reach inside and feel for play on the turbine while you're feeling for play on the compressor. You're going to feel it alot more on the turbine side anyways. This will also give you a chance to see if you have a leak from the turbines oil seal.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks, i'll have to remove the ac pipes that are in the way right? and if the turbo is bad, what should i do. rebuild it myself, (lil knowledge, my dad has enough though) or buy one of ebay, or maybe you guys can point me in the direction of a tbird hybrid seller

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
All bets are off if you have an exhaust manifold leak. You need to fix that first before coming to any conclusions. I watched the videos and heard the sound when coming back down to idle, hard to say what that is but the exhaust sounds deep and loud in general. Do you have an aftermarket exhaust?

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
nah i will soon though, the muffler fell off lol, and my dad ghettofied it with a straight pipe. i got a deal from my friends muffler shop on mandrel tubing turbo back exhaust. but i'm worried about the practicals first before performance

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
TheDrizzle said:
thanks, i'll have to remove the ac pipes that are in the way right? and if the turbo is bad, what should i do. rebuild it myself, (lil knowledge, my dad has enough though) or buy one of ebay, or maybe you guys can point me in the direction of a tbird hybrid seller
I put up an entire "how to" in the FAQS on rebuilding the turbo. I have to reload my pics because I hosted them on cardomain, but the info is all there.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
haha, chyea

so anyways, i really need to figure something out. i don't have enough money for a different car but i should have enough to fix this one. because the clutch just gave out on me. and countless of other engine problems. i'm looking for a rebuilt engine, imported, or watev. please help out

·
Banned
4,040 Posts

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
I think by the time you paid for shipping and the engine that you could buy a short block with a warranty and probably use your own head for less than the price that you'd pay for something that you don't know the condition of.

Or you could just fix your exhaust leak at the exhaust manifold/tighten the exhaust manifold studs, possibly put a new stud in where one loosened itself out, helicoil a stripped stud hole, look for a boost leak that you probably have, and be done with it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts