1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow owners it's been a while,

Today.... i have a problem,
below i have listed the recent mods i have done to my car,
these would have included a cai and hold/ait buttons shifted to the wheel but im having problems.....
READ ON

Veilside front end..-done
12 thou off tghe head..-done
intake manifold p&p..-done
headers & cat bak exhaust..-done (needs tip)
oil cooler from a SS commodore Ute..-done
performance increase..-SHIT got major issues.....

compresion, A/F ratio are all good but the horses aint runnin, tried running straight air(DROPED THE FILTER BOX), tried dropping exhaust after headers, tried to advance and retard the timing.
No help...

low end power is K-rap, at about 4.5g it starts to pull and drops off around 7.
YOU GET THE SENSE THAT THE POWER IS THERE JUST NOT TRANSFERING TO THE WHEELS!!!!...

AAAARGGHHHHHHH....
any ideas???
i had heard of a few people havin probs extracting horses after upgrades.

-solution-?
KLZE intake manifold, maybe the engine isn't breathing readily enough and my internal work is creating a cavity..?

many thanks in advance!!
Stylez
ps all work was proffessionaly done!

·
Registered
257 Posts
it sounds like a VRIS problem 100% to me. i used to have a similar problem. try messing with your VRIS butterflies. try tieing them open, one at a time, then both. and try removing the electrical connectors from the solenoids. do the paper test too. do all this and see if your characteristics change. lemme know, its prolly whats wrong.

GOOD LUCK!
L8R
Nick
BLUMX6

by the way, if you ported & polished your manifold already, the ZE manifold aint gonna help at all. and with headers and exhaust i dont think a lack of breathing is your problem. that would affect higher rpms. the opposite of what u got goin on.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BLUMX6 said:
do the paper test too.

by the way, if you ported & polished your manifold already, the ZE manifold aint gonna help at all. and with headers and exhaust i dont think a lack of breathing is your problem. that would affect higher rpms. the opposite of what u got goin on.
Thanks for your info guyz,

I should mention that the ZE manifold (for those not familar) has an additional chamber and bigger channels,
most importantly this extra chamber(it's radically diff)
sits in the center and behind with big valves that drop a big bundle of air straight into the heads...
I had been hoping this was my unicorn!
Is what your saying about the manifold only a generalized broad base rule, or did u apply the theory to my specific case...... ???, because if thats true im a lil worried cause low end not just not better it is worse!!
PAPER TEST????
that is new to me? please explain?
hope that doesnt expose me as naive!!!! hahaaaha ;)

Also....
MX-6 BOY jr said
another consideration is that porting your heads can decrease your bottom end power.
ooohhh your scaring me too, surely it can't b that drastic at 12 thou, though?

OHH YES more relivant info
its an Auto

THANKS ONCE AGAIN
stylez

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
WAIT...

you milled your head +.012"?

is that right?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lotsa work and much time later.....

Hey everybody,

bum in the air head under the hood....
thatz been me!!
and then some......

Alright ... here's the deal
ZE intake completed the power curve but took a lil low end..
not what I wanted!

soooo.... the next step!
WE GOT A FULL JAP IMPORT TELSTAR, which also shares our engine..
now we chucked em both on the dyno and the good news is that it seems I have brought my KLO into the performance ranges of the ZE Wooo hoo... but if soo what was going wrong?
and why was the telstar was pulling an extra 20% torque down low!
A timing light soon showed the difference, the telstar was doin double time compared to the MX....
Yay!! somthing to work on huh? ....... but no we had no way to trick the computer into freeing the power as after '95 OBDII became the standard (on board diagnosis Ver.II).
Now with OBDII for some reason only the Magical tech heads at Mazda know, they removed one of the two sensors that used to be housed with the distributer...
either the Crank angle or the Topdead center can't remember which was moved to the Crank!
AAAArrrrghhhhh

But then out of the mist surrounded in sureal light came the final solution!!!
After market controlled Fuel system!
this would allow me to free the power!!

now.... the surreal light was nothing special as it was only the light reflecting of all the gold required to finance it!! lol

so tomorrow after my car is cleaned up im going to get her, drive her round for a couple of weeks while working my ASS off, financing the completion of the project!

Then she goes back for a EMS ECU piggyback that has a laptop interface controlling my vris, shift points, timimg, fuel ... blah blah (hehe also can display shift lights on the lappy and all data is shown realtime then recorded! and its an Aussie product!!!!! haa, shameless plug) this coupled with individual throttle bodies with direct air and oversized injectors will allow the power to pour on!!
im hopin for 120kw at the wheels
and about 35% increase in torque....

ive already done alot of work smoothing the torque out
and intend to play more during the final stage.
As my focus was always on refining the curves rather than gaining blatantly raw power....
:) i'm looking for razor point corner exiting response...
and presice, predictable 'n' consistant control..
haha made all the harder by ATX,
oh well.. its taken some time but its been a hell of a journey!

I hadn't intended to go this far at this stage, but the idea of driving my car around with such dormant power lying idle, is just too much to bear!! :)

AAaahh,,,,...... me... be gone,
Go hard
cya

·
Registered
362 Posts
which ecu are you referring to here? unichip? or a complete aftermarket ecu, i.e haltech, wolf3d?

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Its and aftermarket system called E.M.S. no prizes for guessing what that stands for, eh?
Developed by a company called Full Engine Managment or sum such in Sydney!
so yeah its a full system, i could even run the air con with the laptop! LOL

should be FUN!
newayz,
must be off, im shoppin for exhuast tips...

My choice soo far....

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
how much was that system? is it just plug and play?

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
im going to start a new thread on this piggybcak setup. when i post a link, 1Style, you have to go and tell me everything you know about it okay?...LOL

1 - 11 of 11 Posts