Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so here's my problem......lately my car's been acting funny....

All my gauge lights seem to go a bit dim and as I rev the car they seem to light up again....also the heater isnt working very well.....its winter now and it usually takes about 15 minutes for the inside of the car to be warm, but now it gets warm then cold air comes out then warm air then cold again......its driven me nuts....

...I just put in a new battery so it cant be that....could it be the alternator???

I also recently did my timing belt, water pump, and underdrive pulley.....

also Ive been getting a loud "screech" from the engine sometimes when I rev the engine....usually when I just start the car but lately its been happening more frequent...

Any and ALL helo would be most appreciated!

Thank you all that help.

Tom

·
Premium Member
3,602 Posts
Well 2 of your problems are linked .. the brightening of the lights when you rev the engine and the screeching noise... both are due to your aux. belt, its not tight enough,.. its slipping on the alternator on idle and then when you accelerate its trying to find some grip, the screech... tighten the belt, both of these problems should go. The dim lights on idle will also be down to your underdrive pully, its smaller than the original and each rotation of the engine does not turn the alternator pully as many times per min as it normally would.

As for the heater being colder, if its colder outside then it makes it easier for the rad to keep the water cooler, especially when moving, imagine the wind chill factor on that radiator. I've have also noticed this on my own car now winter has arrived, and it operates approx 80-85 C ( thermostat just open ), instead of 90, due mainly to colder air. Then you are pulling this colder air into the car to pass over the heater core, which is already running lower than normal temps and mix that with the colder air being pulled in = not as hot as it normally would be.

Oddy.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've noticed the dimming over the last 6 weeks.....

But I had the pulley installed over the summer...

I shall def. try tightening the aux.belt

what should I do for the temperature?? Ive had the car for 7over years and this is the first time ive noticed the temperature not working properly....

mazda heats usually hot hot

thanks for all your help

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bumpty bump!

·
Registered
811 Posts
I think oddball covered.
Regarding the needle, you aren't the only one who's needle is a little over half. I drove around for a year like that, just a tad hot. It reached it's limit last month when I had to change my water pump, and now it's back to normal.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all your advice

actually its the heat in the car...the hot aair is not blowing out hot air...its cold

1 - 8 of 8 Posts