Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a problem I'm trying to remove my mazda 93 mx-6 factory tape deck. I stuck to keys down the side and it unlocked but something seems to be holding it. i think a butterfly screw in the back of the unit. You can't reach it from the front can anybody tell me how to reach it. None of the other forums have this info, and I've yet to see it here. It wont slide out from the front something is holding it. from the front I can see a steel mounting rail behind the pioneer tape deck. And I think it is screwed into it. Help!

Please I really need help ASAP!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just pulled mine out today. I inserted the removal tools, pressed inward and it slid out with a little bit of shifting. Two things may be causing the problem. The factory wiring harness is wrapped very tightly and the wires are very stiff. The wires may be giving you a hard time. Also, There is a long black rubber nub located on the back of the head unit that presses into the steel bar that you are seeing in the back of the compartment. I think if you just keep working the head unit up/down side to side and consistently pull as you are going you should have luck. My only other thought is that you are removing an aftermarket head unit the may have been solid mounted by the prevous installer.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I'm in a similar bind, trying to remove the factory installed tape deck of my own 93 mx-6
metalfix said:
...I inserted the removal tools...
where would i obtain these removal tools?

·
Registered
18 Posts
You can buy them at crutchfield.com - sounddomain.com or you can probably buy them at a local car stereo installation store.
You can also make a pair yourself. To make the tools, all you need is a wire coat hanger and a pair of side cutter pliers. Cut two long lenghts of wire from the coat hanger and bend them so that the ends point in the same direction as one another and are at the same width as the top and bottom holes that are located on the side of your factory head unit. There are four holes that are probably plugged with rubber inserts. Use a small flathead screwdriver to remove the inserts. Insert the ends of the two tools that you have made into the four holes. Press the tools outward and slowly slide the deck out as you are pressing outward on the tools.
It's really pretty simple but might be kind of tricky if it's the first time you've ever done it.
Good luck!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks much! I'm going to try that today, I hope that I can make it work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts