Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car is a V6 MTX, and lately I have been noticing strange occurances on long (2+ hour) drives. When I let of the gas at lets say 80 mph to decelerate the car kind of jerks fowards and backwards for a second. It does the same thing when I put my foot back on the accelerator. This didn't bother me at first, but now it does this while maintaining a constant speed. It is a jerking or stuttering motion. It does it a lot between 65-80 mph.
At first I thought tranny, but now I'm thinking it could more of a fuel or spark problem.
What do you guys think?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
81 Posts
Myself and another ATX driver have had a similar problem. I initially blamed my transmission. The opinion generally expressed is that it cuold be something electrical. If your MTX car is exhibiting the same symptoms, then that tends to rule out the ATX.

You could try pulling error codes. I've got some O2 sensor errors. Since it relates to when you take your foot off the pedal, perhaps the throttle mechanism might be somethign to look at.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
jhgt_r said:
My car is a V6 MTX, and lately I have been noticing strange occurances on long (2+ hour) drives. When I let of the gas at lets say 80 mph to decelerate the car kind of jerks fowards and backwards for a second. It does the same thing when I put my foot back on the accelerator. This didn't bother me at first, but now it does this while maintaining a constant speed. It is a jerking or stuttering motion. It does it a lot between 65-80 mph.
At first I thought tranny, but now I'm thinking it could more of a fuel or spark problem.
What do you guys think?
Wait a couple of weeks and see if it starts turning off in the middle of the highway. Both times, thats how my disty failed.

I'm going to go ahead and make the conditioned guess of distributor failure, but like you say it could be a variety of fuel or spark issues. Let us know how the situation progresses, and what you do to diagnose/remedy it.
-Garrett

·
Registered
36 Posts
Exact same thing was happening to me. After a new Distributor (which also replaced CPV #1) I still had same problem. Found out it was the Knock Sensorm had a bad connection at the wiring plug. After that it was fixed.

Over at Probetalk.com Knock sensor fixed some of there bucking problems also.

Tim

·
Registered
111 Posts
sounds like an ignition problem, check your wires and plugs. but could be something else electrical.

G

·
me to

I am having the same problems with my car i been wondering if anyone else has had them to i drive a 1995 mazda mx-6 and if u find out what fixes it please tell me i cant stand all that jumping and stuff

·
Registered
22 Posts
try checking for codes first. if theres nothing there then check ur plug wires. with an ohm-meter. the longest wire should have a higher resistance then the smaller wires. it should all decend. or if u dont have an ohm-meter then change the wires and test if ur problems fixed.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Haynes manual says that there should be 16k ohm resistance per 40 inches of plug wire. I think plug for cylinder #3 is 40 inches.

Also, give that knock sensor a try, it stopped that bucking.

Tim

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I have a cel light, but I checked it a long time ago and it is just an egr error. No point in fixing that. I am going to replace my fuel filter soon to see if that helps. I was also thinking about using injector cleaner. Does anybody know if this stuff works or if it is bad for the engine? Anyways, fuel filter for now, my valve gaskets are also bad. I just found out I have oil in my spark plug wells. I am going to get that fixed next week and probably replace the fuel filter this weekend. I will also replace my plugs and wires. I will keep you guys posted.

Any opinions on the fuel injector cleaner?
Where is the knock sensor?

·
Registered
157 Posts
I had the same problem with my 6. I did two things that cured the problem. 1st. I adjusted my TPS. 2. I replaced the disty. After I did these two things I never had the problem again. Its been over a year ago and I make trips to St. Louis 2 times a week. Hope it helps. First check your TPS if that doesnt fix it change the disty.......:D

·
Registered
3,092 Posts
only if its out of range, which usually isnt the failure.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
jhgt_r said:
I have a cel light, but I checked it a long time ago and it is just an egr error. No point in fixing that. I am going to replace my fuel filter soon to see if that helps. I was also thinking about using injector cleaner. Does anybody know if this stuff works or if it is bad for the engine? Anyways, fuel filter for now, my valve gaskets are also bad. I just found out I have oil in my spark plug wells. I am going to get that fixed next week and probably replace the fuel filter this weekend. I will also replace my plugs and wires. I will keep you guys posted.

Any opinions on the fuel injector cleaner?
Where is the knock sensor?
EGR problems can manifest themselves in part throttle driveability issues.

The knock sensor is located under the IM, its a bitch to get to.

Get your VCG's fixed, replace the plugs and wires, and see if it helps.
-Garrett

1 - 16 of 16 Posts