Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive had nothing from the cat back on my probe for a few days now, and Really like the performance I get from it. My car boosts close to 10psi and that is not a peak, it actually holds that amount of boost. Ofcourse it is really loud but I am getting used to it.

I even called up the police and asked if it was illegal to not have muffler and piping, and they said that you want pass emissions without them but as long as you have a catalytic convertor you are not breaking any laws, except for possibly making too much noise.

Should I be worried about anything? especially since all the hot gases are coming out under the middle of the car, would the heat be an issue?

·
Registered
514 Posts
ha yeah the cops tell you that now but as soon as they hear it (dont know how loud it is) they will probibly give you trouble. I remiber when my friends got some troubles with the cops when they got there exhaust done(they where loud)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I think the only problems you will have is while sitting still the carbon monoxide will be able to leak into your car which is not good.

Maybe think about just getting some pipe to the back of the car to move the gasses away from the interior of your car.

I am actually thinking of doing this :cool:

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
So your trying to say that you dont have the rear muffler?? Or you have nothing from the cat back??

I broke my downpipe no more than 30min ago racing a Mustang GT (beat him by 2 cars) and its damn loud. I think it sounds great though. The turbo spools loud and it sounds like a wooossh from an external wastegate when boosting hard. Its damn loud!!!!!

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
all i have is downpipe and cat

I had it with no cat a long time ago and it sounded bad, too raspy

but now with the cat on it sounds good real deep and throaty

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
You definitely should get some sort of piping so the exhaust exits out the back of the car. It is dangerous to have exhaust exiting under the middle of the car. You run risk of exposure to carbon monoxide, especially if you're in the car at a stoplight with the engine idling.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
You definitely should get some sort of piping so the exhaust exits out the back of the car. It is dangerous to have exhaust exiting under the middle of the car. You run risk of exposure to carbon monoxide, especially if you're in the car at a stoplight with the engine idling.
Thats pretty much only if you drive around with your windows up. I always have mine down:shrug:

·
Banned
27,927 Posts
magik8 said:
especially since the hot exhaust is aiming at the gastank:flamer:

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
especially since the hot exhaust is aiming at the gastank
Yea, thats true. I always get scared when my car backfires with no downpipe. All that oil on the oil pan, plus the oil return is like right there............its just a fire waitin to happen.

·
Registered
515 Posts
If nothing you could go to the local muffler shop and have them do a side exit for you so you don't have to worry about fumes. It should only cost about $50.

·
Registered
245 Posts
i have had no exaust from the cat back for about 6 months and havent had any probs with cops and i live in an area with the most anal of cops

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
i have had no exaust from the cat back for about 6 months and havent had any probs with cops and i live in an area with the most anal of cops
Do you have a cat?? If so then thats why. I remember when I had my cat. That was back when my car was quiet. haha

I was thinking of getting a side exit. I like the look of mufflers though. Im thinking of getting another one. Im on my 3rd:D

I want to get a Megan N1 with the 3in inlet

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
so wait mx6gt91 you have nothing after the downpipe? isnt that crazy loud?

i mean ive already got my window panes vibrating along with about a hundred other things in the cabin.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Is it just me or does everyone else notice that turbo cars are more quiet than n/a cars with the same exhuast? I have another car (1.8 4cyl.) with straight exhaust, just the cat, it's loud. When I was putting on my 3" downpipe,(on the 6) I started the car with nothing on the exhaust side of the turbo and it wasn't nearly as loud. I think some of the noise gets lost in the turbo, or maybe not too, I don't really know. What's your take on it?

·
Banned
4,040 Posts
quietness quotient

drsjr1980 said:
Is it just me or does everyone else notice that turbo cars are more quiet than n/a cars with the same exhuast? ........ I think some of the noise gets lost in the turbo, or maybe not too, I don't really know. What's your take on it?
A turbo acts as a muffler. Turbo cars are noticeably quieter than NA cars at the race track (at tracks when no noise restrictions exist).

The purpose of a muffler is to break up the big noise that comes down the pipe when the exhaust valve opens. The turbine blades to a similar function.

·
Registered
9,228 Posts
so wait mx6gt91 you have nothing after the downpipe? isnt that crazy loud?

I mean ive already got my window panes vibrating along with about a hundred other things in the cabin.
I actually dont have a downpipe. Its just the pipe that goes into the downpipe. Its not crazy loud but its not quiet. At idle it sounds like a normal car would with a exhaust manifold leak. Kinda ticky......ya know. Just driving normal anything above 2200rpms you can hear the turbo spooling. You can also hear it spooling when slowing down. It sounds like a semi in other words.
When boosting its a damn LOUD gust of air. It hurts my ears when boosting by cars. It sounds like a external wastegate.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Re: quietness quotient

SleepCounter said:
A turbo acts as a muffler. Turbo cars are noticeably quieter than NA cars at the race track (at tracks when no noise restrictions exist).
The purpose of a muffler is to break up the big noise that comes down the pipe when the exhaust valve opens. The turbine blades to a similar function.
Thanks for comfirming that, I was thinking along those lines but wasn't for sure. It makes sense.:)

·
Registered
76 Posts
bobgt said:
its loud enough to make ricers get out of my way!
maybe its because it doesnt sound like a duck farting in a coffee can
That is the best description of a ricer I have heard in ages...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts