Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not sure how to explain this problem, there is several parts to it, i have video footage of one of the problems, when the car is started and put into Drive, First, or Second from either neutral or park it seems to cut out, also this problem seems to come around when the car is trying to accelerate from a dead start, it tries to cut out until it seems to reach a higher rpm then it will cut back in and accelerate all the way through, and finally at around 45 MPH and 60 MPH the engine seems to cut out and the RPM's will drop drastically as if it cutting out.

I am only a teenager right now, and i have taken it into my schools auto shop and have had my auto teacher look at it, he says its probably something in the ignition system, but he hasn't really looked at it, so he cant tell me if that's the problem or not.

Videos Links:
Inside Car

Outside in the engine compartment

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
Check for air leaks and cracks around the throttle body boot

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
yeah id say vacuum leak but id also check fuel filter, plugs/wires, rotor, cap, and coil. basically all the normal things. lol

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ive had my auto teacher take a better look, he says he thinks its still in the igntion system and nothing to do with any of the vacuum systems

i had a friend who had the same exact problem with his honda and his was the ignition module, is this plausible?

·
Registered
510 Posts
My Lx was doing that and It had a tear in the air hose from the vaf to the throttle body thats where i would start

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hhmm.. didnt realize this till now, and i had some people point it out to me

yes those problems i stated were happening when i put the car in drive, but when i put the car in reverse it runs perfectly fine, doesnt try dying out, doesnt try to die out when i accelerate in reverse, and when i do get the car into drive and hold the brake and give it a little gas it kills the engine instantly

so i had some people who know their way around cars look at my car, and know we think we've pinpointed the problem to the torque converter, can this really be whats causing my problem before i spend any money?

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Drive puts more load on the engine than reverse.

This is why the revs drop more when putting it in drive.
This is due to the clamping pressure of the auto's internal clutches being much higher in drive than in reverse.

Either way it's fairly normal behaviour for an auto to drop revs a lot when putting in drive.

I would be more concerned about the cutting out while cruising, this, as many have told you is text-book typical vacuum leak behaviour.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
hhmm thanks for the help guys :D

got my car to my house this weekend, so i had sufficient light to look at it

was kind of surprised about it, like it was stated earlier, yes the problem was in the throttle body boot, but listen to this :D

i was looking at it this morning, found a crack in one of creases, so we were playing with it to make sure thats what was causing it, and it kept killing the engine

so we were like ok cool, so i was look at the boot more, and i got to the last crease basically before the throttle body, opened it up, and it was just a giant tear, i was surprised the car would even start and let me put it into drive with how big it was

thanks again :D

·
Banned
2,630 Posts
Yup it sounded like that was the problem, thats why i said check your throttle boot :)

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
yeah, i figured it was that the way it was idling in drive

just with the insufficient amount of light, and the shall i say, not very smart people in my auto class, i overlooked it the first time, but thanks again :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts