Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 175 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay so obviously we need something new and exciting here. What's the general consensus? I am pretty open to new ideas at this point. I just checked the main page and we have 17 members and 144 guests viewing our forums. We need a way to make those guests sign up and join our family.

We are already trying to revamp and organize the faq and how to section but it hasn't been getting the attention it needs and deserves. If anyone has free time and wants to join in please let me know and I will grant you access to the stuff we started working on and haven't gotten around to finishing yet.

Other ideas are appreciated as well.

My personal thought is that we are not as current with trends as other sites seem to be. Yes, I am talking about hellaflush fitment and slammed cars, which are very popular right now. Most trends are stupid and weird looking but at least they help to show that people who own those cars are trying new things. I haven't seen many "modernly modified" mx6's around here. Maybe we're all just too poor to buy new parts. :shrug:

Why don't people make build threads? I have one for my 3 and even if it doesn't get much attention on here it gets pretty regular views on other websites.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Not to be rude but, i think the problem is alot of mx6 owners are in fact to broke to buy parts therefore companys dont make [shizzle] for the car. This whole thing with its a mid 90s car and it should look like a mid 90s car is ridiculous

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
Chef, i don't know what is going around here. I remember a few years ago this place was happenin........now its been 4 days since anyone has posted besides me in the 1g general forum.......

I feel like i'm the only person that exists and to boot its not longer questions of electrical issues or how to reach 300hp.

Now its stupid shit like my brakes squeak.....how do i check the pads. Its like the 12 yr old crowd is taking over. I feel pretty alone with both my 1g's at the moment.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I'd love to start a build thread but time is a premium with running two small businesses. I still haven't finished my suspension. It doesn't help that I keep shredding CV joints either. Parts have to be sourced, hacked or fabricated it's hard to get some things going for a lot people who don't have the skills, time or money to get it all done. Most of the posts seem to be about how to get and keep the cars running. If I had the time I could make the front and rear bumpers I want since no one makes one that isn't gaudy. I'd also use the 5 hides of black leather and burled walnut I have to refinish the interior or the half finished shift knob.

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
I guess the real enthusiast demographic that kept this place poppin before have grown up and out of these cars...my MX-6 is sitting in the garage back home doing nothing, and will continue to do so once I resign my a 2nd one-year contract in February to stay in Korea, so even I'm thinking of selling it off and using my newly earned savings towards something more contemporary (perhaps V6 Genesis coupe :D ).

Even the guys who went the turbo route seem to just be holding onto how to keep the cars on the road from one breakdown to the next.

I guess it's just getting to be time to move on :shrug:

·
Premium Member
9,394 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If the site is going to continue having people sign up we have to learn to live with the simple questions regarding maintenance and mods that we all know how to do that have been discussed in detail many times. This is part of the reason that we need to update the way that the forum archives are set up and also fix the way the search feature works. These two things make it very difficult for a new user to find any information.

The mx6 crowd is getting younger because you can pick up an mx6 for under $3k now, which makes it a good young person's car. These young people will have questions and having an elitist attitude and telling people to search is going to drive these people off. I know I had some pretty dumb questions when I first started learning about cars.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Not to be rude but, i think the problem is alot of mx6 owners are in fact to broke to buy parts therefore companys dont make [shizzle] for the car. This whole thing with its a mid 90s car and it should look like a mid 90s car is ridiculous
^THIS! ...goes hand in hand with young owners, and working against a vehicle that hasn't aged well. Trying to keep the car running, reliable, and safe can cost almost as much as big mods.

If the site is going to continue having people sign up we have to learn to live with the simple questions regarding maintenance and mods that we all know how to do that have been discussed in detail many times. This is part of the reason that we need to update the way that the forum archives are set up and also fix the way the search feature works. These two things make it very difficult for a new user to find any information.

The mx6 crowd is getting younger because you can pick up an mx6 for under $3k now, which makes it a good young person's car. These young people will have questions and having an elitist attitude and telling people to search is going to drive these people off. I know I had some pretty dumb questions when I first started learning about cars.
Chef, i don't know what is going around here. I remember a few years ago this place was happenin........now its been 4 days since anyone has posted besides me in the 1g general forum.......

I feel like i'm the only person that exists and to boot its not longer questions of electrical issues or how to reach 300hp.

Now its stupid [shizzle] like my brakes squeak.....how do i check the pads. Its like the 12 yr old crowd is taking over. I feel pretty alone with both my 1g's at the moment.
We have all been at the starting point at some time. There are always noob questions popping up but, why not answer them and welcome them into the community at the same time. Some of the longer-term members all know eachother fairly well and that can repel newer members as well.
How about a member of the month profile or something? IDK just throwing that out there.

My main thing is that most members sign up because they have a plan, or vision, to turn the car into a modded representation. Most lurkers, and guests, are just trying to find out how to fix this or replace that. It's a car that is qiuckly reaching it's 2nd decade and many of these cars were abused most of their lives.
I DD my 6 and it definitely shows its age on parts and chassis but, from a certain POV it's not so unlike the hot-rodders that keep their era of most-loved cars running. It's not for everyone, some ppl just want to get their car to work or school and back and forth to the store and that's fine for them.
Others, like most of the posters in this thread, wish to turn their 6 into a nice street or track car. That's good enough for me.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
How do we know that 144 guests are not existing member? Probably not all but I'm sure some are existing member, I know I don't login unless I need to post, otherwise I just browse through all the thread that interests me, so I'm a part of that guest list.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
Dude, you think this forum is dead? Try looking at the subaru justy forum...

We have to come to a realization that the platform is dead and the only parts for these cars are custom run and in very limited batches.

Take for instance in the 1g arena..

Dutch bar
Antisuv lower tie bar
"Zebel" housing
Zombie chip
HKS pipes
TK turbo's

Until there is some breakthrough's with swaps (I'm working on one), or some other tuning/parts that can be realized, this place is going to be rather dead.

·
Registered
181 Posts
^ That sounds like a good Idea ^
But if theres nobody on here anymore theres gunna be a limited amount of choices :shrug: But theres no harm in trying.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
^ would run out of active members automobiles lol.

Mazda just needs to start pushing the mx6 out into production again... You know, kinda like what Delorean does with the DMC-12! lol

·
Registered
449 Posts
We did COTM, last year this time (chef correct me if im wrong) we got alot of rides last time like 12 or 13.

We could use it to boost other options we are looking at.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
I'm going to be starting my build, and im going to have a lot of questions, i've already posted some in 2g General...so i'm up for starting a build thread.

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
I think It's the general hate for something new and different that is killing the site. I'm surprised mike is still around with all the hate people have for his style. I know there have been a few members walk away from the site due to this. Just because its different doesn't make it wrong quality of work is what counts.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
mx-6 is getting old and so is this site.
Active modders of yesteryear have moved on to other cars or simply sold their 6's and grown up, newcomers are more interested in how to keep their daily drivers running then in supercharging etc.

·
Registered
619 Posts
All the money i spent on my car last year was for keeping my car on the road. Everytime i fix one thing, something else breaks. Im honestly considering selling it.

·
Registered
89 Posts
this forum has died off a lot within the last few years, sad to see. i know i'm not helping since all i've done is lurk on and off since around 2003 :rolleyes:

and as for the "herra frush" movement, i'm slowly working my way towards flushness. been playing around for the last couple weeks trying to get my ksports dialed in and mixing/matching spacers in an attempt to figure out a suitable offset for when i finally buy a legit set of wheels

i'll make a (very late, most of the motor work has been done for years) build thread when it starts to come along more visually. try my best to keep the 1g's going haha

1 - 20 of 175 Posts