Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay boys and girls. As I have told to someone, at least solar my man knows, I'm going to turbo my sixer. Yes, I am going with one turbo feeded from both banks. I just wanted to let you ppl know what is happening with my car right now...

I have installed my Autometer 4375 Ultra-Lite series A/F ratio gauge. I wanted to do this before my Walbro 255 lph fuel pump install so I can compare how it works before and after I've installed the pump. I have that pump right here on my desk waiting to get it installed. I ordered it from www.autoperformanceengineering.com, the delivery was fast and no hassle with it. That's great considering that I live in Finland and the pump came from USA.

Next stage is ordering / installing Clutchmaster Stage 3 clutch and Fidanza flywheel from Rafi @ www.rr-racing.com . I'm just trying to figure out whether not or yes to order a set of engine mounts from him too. I think I will... Rafi seems to be a great guy and he seems to have the best prices over the net on these items. BTW, he has a combo deal on clutch/flywheel set!

After that it's time to get serious and get my arse to turbo shop to see what kind of turbo I'm gonna put in my car. Propably that'll be a T3/4 hybrid, but I want to hear some professional opinions first. That could save me some bucks and hassle with changing turbo or compressor wheel/housings...

Right now, I'm thinking really hard to figure out how much do I need my ICE installation. That sucker sounds good but weighs a freakin ton, I think!

Also trying to figure out which FMU/FPR to get and how to route my pipings. Propably gonna make a nice 3" exhaust pipe, maybe even with dual exits. Dunno for sure yet. I just want to live day by day with this project so I can make it happen. Of course I've made my plans but I have no schedule with this project, I still have my daytime work to do! And I'm gonna need all the money I can get to stuck them in my car.

I have my intercooler ready here with me too. It's from Saab 9-5 Tdi and I think it might be possible to install it in front of radiator. The A/C pipes are a bit in the way though...

I'm gonna make a new front bumper to achieve more room for the intercooler and stuff... Maybe some nice fender flares and sideskirts too... We will see that later. Right now I'm concentrating on the performance side on my car.

Oh yeah... Ssssshhh!!! This is top secret project by the way! :E Yea right!

Well I'll keep you all updated with this post when I get on the next stage.

Mici

·
Registered
139 Posts
Mici, thats excellent. Im sure that your car will be absolutely incredible when its finished. Send me some pics so i can see your progress.
I wish i could spend the money on a supercharger kit for my ze which is getting installed now, but i think that after this summer i am going to be finished modifying my six. Time for me to start saving up a couple years early for my next car..an M3
If you want, ill send some pics of my project too, maybe we can swap ideas.
Peace

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea, okay. So far I don't have anything major to show ya though. :( I think I will get my stereo stuff out of my ride since I think I broke my freakin Digital Signal Processor and my MP3 player! The good thing is that I get rid of a lot of weight and that means better performance. :)

I hope I can get some answers from Rafi soon about his polyurethane engine mounts... After that I'm gonna place my order for those flywheel/clutch combo.

I'll keep ya posted.
Mici

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Okay, I've got a little update on this project. I bought a T3/4 hybrid turbo with watercooled center jacket and without integrated wastegate. The guy has worked before as diesel engineer and has built many turbos, including gasoline engines, so he knows his stuff. He asked for around 400 bucks for the turbo and he will put new bearings in it before I go and get the thingy out of his hands. I'm not quite sure about the A/R figures yet but he said that it should match pretty good and if it won't match, then he will change it so it will match. Overall this guy was very intrested in my project and he is willing to give me a hand while picking the other items I need for make this thing blow. That means BOV, WG, .... So let's see what he can do for me. I'm going to pick the turbo next friday (I hope) and after that I'll get back with more info in here. If the site is still up... :( If not, I'll post my stuff on ProbeTalk's F/I forum and you can have a look in there.

Laters
Mici

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
woohoo!!! keep it going Mici!! glad you have someone to help ya out. it will make things go a lot smoother. hope your turboed soon!!

solar

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay. The turbo he had (T3/4 hybrid) had so huge compressor side that I decided not to take it. It was something like .70 or more. Instead, I opted for T28 or I'm not sure if it's a T3 out of Nissan 300ZX. This turbo has been modified for a bit more flow and it seems to be good choice when I did some calculations. It was perfect match for 8psi non intercooled but I'm planning to have it 8psi with intercooler so time will tell how good it is. Again, the guy said that he will change it to something different if that ain't feeling good and he also gave me garatie on the turbo. The bearings should be quite recently done and the turbo looks to be in good working order. It has watercooled center jacket and integral wastegate which also helps to keep the plumbing a bit simplier. It's also good that this turbo is pretty compact in it's physical size so it should fit somewhere down my "compressor room" hehe.

Yeah, finally got my Paypal accepted and ordered that flywheely and clutchy combo from www.rr-racing.com . We'll see when they show up here in Finland.

I'm also looking for best place to buy Auto Meter products over the net. Anyone know any coupons for Summitracing?

The winter is coming and I have to put my bike back to garage so that should leave me more time to work with my turrrrrbo install...

That's all folks (so far) ;)

Mici

·
Boostaholic
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay, just got my Walbro 255lph installed. The car runs fine now, without turbo yet that is. I thought I might end up having too much fuel pressure while non-boosted but it seems to be okay according to my A/F gauge. For anyone who is putting a new fuel pump in tank, it's a bitch to do. Be sure that you have someone with you at least when you are installing the fuel tank back. The actual pump replacement was very very easy and fast to do. I just don't understand why those wise Mazda engineers decided not to have straight access under the rear seat to the tank as was in 1st genner. They went completely wrong with this "design". Well, now it's done though. Next step is the clutchy and flywheely combo. I hope they arrive here someday next week so I can start to install those by the weekend. After that, adjustable fuel pressure regulator which I'm going to order from a local shop. They make their own and it looks really sweet. I hope it works as well too. Heheh. That's about it by me so far.

Later
Mici

1 - 7 of 7 Posts