Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, need some help. I just had someone change my valve cover gaskets, and the car has trouble starting. Turns over but doesnt start for like 5 seconds. He says its nothing he did, but it kicked right over before I took it to him. In checking vaccume hoses, I pulled the pcv valve. The car stalled. Is this normal in this car. I would not think so. Does anyone have any idea what might be going on?

·
Registered
4,460 Posts
Removing the PCV valve creates a vacuum leak, so yes, it would be normal for the car to stall.

Reactions: gradwell

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
dj2501 said:
on my six if you pull the pcv valve or even open the oil fill cap on the valve cover the car stalls.
It should.
iv heard of people putting breather filters in, in place of the pcv but i dont know how they got their cars to stay running.
Good question. To have a breather filter you'd need to cap off the PCV nipple on the IM neck (near the throttle body) as well as crossover setup at a minimum to where it goes to the rear if not just cap it at the TB/VAF elbow.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
gradwell said:
Also, any idea as to why my car turns over longer now as opposed to prior to him doing work on the car?
Usually id say that it might be your fuel pump going, but since it worked fine before he touched it, and he didnt do anything with the fuel, thats not really a possibility. Thats the only thing I could think of. My car does it too, when the engine is cold. I have to crank it for a good 5 seconds. Im pretty sure its my fuel pump going.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
dj2501 said:
on my six if you pull the pcv valve or even open the oil fill cap on the valve cover the car stalls. iv heard of people putting breather filters in, in place of the pcv but i dont know how they got their cars to stay running.
I have a breather filter on mine, with the nipple on the IM capped off, and my car idles/starts/runs fine. However, it seems a bit slower since I did this, but I did it the same time I installed my CAI, so I dont know which one it is. Im probably going to experiment soon and drive it hard with the Breather Filter on, and then drive it hard with the stock setup, and see if it makes a difference

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Now that I think of it... I noticed my gf's 93 LS was cranking abnormally long before starting a while ago, then her distributor failed. I can't remember if it's been fine since I slapped a disty from my parts car on it or not... I'll try to remember to ask. Though, she usually remote starts it while cold so she might not know.

I know she needs a tune-up because she's done absolutely no maintenance as long as she's had the car (probably 10k miles now?... or something) and I know it needs that too.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks to all. Is a distributor replacement difficult?

Thank you everyone for your posts. It looks like I have some investigation to do. One other thing is that my engine light has been on about 4 years now. I was told it was the cam shaft position sensor on the distributor. Car was running great so I ignored. I guess it may be time to replace the distributor. Is this something I can do? I have pretty practical mechanical ablity.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts