Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
the method to pulling engine codes on a 95 i4 is the same as a 96 v6??. I used to have the i4 im just wondering how it is on the 96 now that i own one.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Well, I dont know how it is on the 4 banger, but on the 6 its like this....

open up a paperclip and make a big U shape, and put one end in the TEN hole, and the GND, in the diagnosis box. Check CEL light, longer blinks are 10's and short ones are 1's, Same?

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah it seems the same i havnt really done so since i have never needed to on the i4, but people have told me thats the way for the 4 so i guessits for the 6 too.. thanks for the info :)

·
Registered
2,116 Posts
from what ive heard that wont work for the 96-97 mx6s because they have obd2 unlike earlier models which have obd1. autozone has the code scanner and should be able to check them for you.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
bleh, you mean i cant do it myself because mazda decides to change the coding from 96-97.. lmao... :(

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
/\/\X6Ster said:
bleh, you mean i cant do it myself because mazda decides to change the coding from 96-97.. lmao... :(
Not Mazda's decision. In fact, Jspec cars still had the OBD1 system for 96 and 97.

The switch to OBDII was forced by government regulation. Same deal applies to all US autos, excluding some heavy duty trucks etc.
-Garrett

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ahh, so what exactly does obd stand for.. and whats bad about obd1 that the gov had to step in about? Not to be annoying, im just curious you seem to know quite a bit about this ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts