Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm pulling the engine from my parts car with a DE in it. I'm trying to remove the axles so I can pull the engine but they won't freakin come out. I have the whole hub basically undone except for the tie rod end. It's disconnected from the ball joint. I was thinking could I just cut the CV boot and rip the cv joints out and pull the engine that way? The axle is shot anyway

EDIT: I AM removing the axles from the transmission side. NOT the hub side. I removed the hub stuff so it doesn't fall on me while i'm trying to pull the crap out of this thing and stomping on the pry bar at the same time

·
Registered
829 Posts
Thats exactly what I(and I presume many others) did. For my driverside anyway. IF its shot, then screw it and cut the bugger off. They also make CV boots designed to go over the axle should you need to reasemble it in the opposite order. SO dont worry if you do find you need to reuse them

·
Registered
778 Posts
yeah i pulled mine at the CV's, why bother trying to pull the axles out when you dont need to to get the engine out.

Reactions: bmxfuel007

·
Registered
118 Posts
Is it stuck on the hub assembly end? If so, Autozone has a tool for rent that basically pushes the axle out of the hub. It bolts on like a puller using the lug nuts.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I don't remember everything exactly but the manual instructs that the tie rod should be disconnected, too.

My axles came out easily following the manual. I also needed a pry bar (got an awesome set of 4 for only $10) that worked just as it should when I put it between the half shaft and transmission case. Was probably a 12 inch or 16 inch max, I guess.

·
Registered
327 Posts
this usually works.. tie a rope or chain around the axel and the other end to a sledge hammer and swing the hammer away from the car ... should get it out

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh, i dont' really care if it's stuck to the hub assembly. I don't even have a 32mm socket to undo that anyway. Just trying to remove the engine and tranny so I can get the rest of the car towed away

Is it stuck on the hub assembly end? If so, Autozone has a tool for rent that basically pushes the axle out of the hub. It bolts on like a puller using the lug nuts.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
If the axle is stuck in the hub (from something as lazy as you don't own a 32mm socket to remove the nut), why don't you just pop it out of the transmission?

If you have tried but can't get it to budge. Stick a cold chisel between the axle and the transmission housing and bang it in. I suggest you have a couple, one on each side. They usually pop out pretty easy that way.

Otherwise, cut the axle in the middle with a good metal cutting bit in a reciprocating saw.

I agree that the axle doesn't have to be removed to pull the engine/transmission assembly. But it's a heck of a lot easier to get back in with it removed.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
Driver side is easy, 2 big screw driver / pry bar, stick them in between the axle and tran at 4 o'clock and 8 o'clock position, pry it a couple times and it'll come lose, work everytime for me.

For the passenger side, why don't you just remove the whole thing with intermediate shaft?

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sorry, I guess I wasn't too clear in my OP. I AM trying to remove it from the tranny side. I haven't removed the hub nut because I don't care if it's still connected to the car. I just want it out of the transmission. I have a few pry bars and i put it between the axle and the transmission and I've been yanking on the hub/axle and stomping on the pry bar at the same time. All i managed to do is yank the cv joints almost all the way out. Looks like the only thing hold them in are the boot now

If the axle is stuck in the hub (from something as lazy as you don't own a 32mm socket to remove the nut), why don't you just pop it out of the transmission?

If you have tried but can't get it to budge. Stick a cold chisel between the axle and the transmission housing and bang it in. I suggest you have a couple, one on each side. They usually pop out pretty easy that way.

Otherwise, cut the axle in the middle with a good metal cutting bit in a reciprocating saw.

I agree that the axle doesn't have to be removed to pull the engine/transmission assembly. But it's a heck of a lot easier to get back in with it removed.

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
sorry, I guess I wasn't too clear in my OP. I AM trying to remove it from the tranny side. I haven't removed the hub nut because I don't care if it's still connected to the car. I just want it out of the transmission. I have a few pry bars and i put it between the axle and the transmission and I've been yanking on the hub/axle and stomping on the pry bar at the same time. All i managed to do is yank the cv joints almost all the way out. Looks like the only thing hold them in are the boot now
My post was telling you how to separate the CV from the transmission.

Careful with pry bars. I've seen people crack the case by putting too much pressure on a very stubborn axle.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I'm not a genius at visualizing things but it seems to me that something hasn't been removed that still needs to be for the axles to pull out freely. They should come out without much effort.

Don't you need to detach the tie rods??

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
There is plent of room for the axle to move and swing out. I can pull on the axle and the cv joints come out (i can see their impressions in the cv boot which gets stretched). I have the tie rod cotter pin and nut undone, but can't get it the tie rod to pop out of the connection. does it just pop out? i've been hammering from the bottom trying to pop it out from the hub but it's not budging

I'm not a genius at visualizing things but it seems to me that something hasn't been removed that still needs to be for the axles to pull out freely. They should come out without much effort.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts

Our axle don't come out easy like others, it definitely take some effort, but it's not impossible. You don't need to detach the tie rods.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Well, ummm maybe it was the 24 inch pry bar I used. :p The drivers side one I pryed out from above...forgot which one it was now you said.

Having a good assortment of lengths comes in very very handy.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have some big ones lying around. I will try prying from above. haven't done that yet. I've tried 4 and 8 o' clock positions and still no go

Well, ummm maybe it was the 24 inch pry bar I used. :p The drivers side one I pryed out from above...forgot which one it was now you said.

Having a good assortment of lengths comes in very very handy.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
wow everyone really seems to be missing the point of this thread. For the passenger side just unbolt the intermediate shaft and remove the entire axle assembly together, no use wasting your time under the car trying to separate those two. On the drivers side, like a few people have suggested a big crow bar and some patience is all it takes. I've pulled them a few times, and its alway right when I'm about to give up that the fucker pops right out.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I know there are different ways to accomplish this but the only way I"m familiar with is the FSM procedure.

Following FSM:

1. Both the tie rods, the stabilizer, and the lower ball joints are detached before the axles are pried out.

And I would guess you unbolted the half shaft from it's mounting on the engine, only I would usually do something like forgetting to do that.
:)

·
Registered
12,045 Posts
Lets recap.

1. Axle stuck in transmission: Pry it out. I suggest using a couple cold chisels to avoid cracking your transmission case (which can happen for the most extremely stuck axles, I've seen it). Others suggest single, likely narrow, long pry bars to pop it out. Either option will most likely work.
2. No one's talking about tie rods. They don't need to be removed just to get an axle out. The FSM has tons of useless steps that aren't necessary in reality.

jamal, you're just adding confusion to the thread.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts