Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
had my wheel aligned but my cars still pulls to the right, tyre shop said it was cause the right hand front tyre was brand new and the left was half worn. They suggested rotating front/backs, I suggested they do alignment again but they wouldn't. Is what their saying plasuible?

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Never experienced it, but it makes some sense theoretically. All front wheel drive cars are prone to torque steer. The worn tire will have a slightly smaller diameter, and so it would be as if it were in a lower gear, so you would get more torque on the worn tire, which would tend to pull your car towards the tire that is less worn.

If the steering only pulls under acceleration, then that must be the explanation. Though I wouldn't have thought the effect would be big enough to notice, since it would only be about a 1% or 2% difference in diameter and torque.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
no pulls all the time, not violently just gently drifts so almost have to keep gentle constant correction on

·
Registered
800 Posts
My car drifts to the right, if I take my hands off the wheel. it has always done that, took it to an alignment shop many times. They told me it was the roads causing the gentle drifting. :ewink:

·
Registered
8 Posts
roads are generally cambered from the central point down into the gutter to allow rain water drain off

this camber usually causes the vehicle to pull towards the kerb slightly

try finding some deserted road and drive right up the middle of it straddling the lines and see if it does the same

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
kman said:
no pulls all the time, not violently just gently drifts so almost have to keep gentle constant correction on
Oh well, that means my theory was wrong. Pity, I rather liked my theory.

You could try swapping the front tires right to left, and see if it pulls the other way. That would test your mechanic's theory about it being the tires. If it always pulls the same way, regardless of swapping the tires, and regardless of road camber, then it definitely sounds like an alignment problem.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It could be your control arms. The lower ball joint and the bushings are probably bad. My car also pulled hard to the right and when it was inspected, my driver side control arm was the bad one.

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Damn!!! Why do you have a brand new tire on the right and a half worn on the left. I just can't belive you went for alignement like this. A good way to spend your money.

The 2 tire in the front must be identical(2 brand new or 2 half worn...) and the 2 tire in the back must be identical too.
Now you know what to do.

·
Registered
324 Posts
i have the same issue with pulling to the right i had the anlinement checked and they said it was anlined but it needs a camber kit to stop the pull, so sad my car used to drive so stright

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Camber kit to stop the pull to one side? Unless you have slammed the car to the ground with some crazy springs (I know for a fact that Eibachs don't need camber kits) you shouldn't need a camber kit.

Alternatively, it's possible you may need new control arms/ball joints to bring them back to where they should be before getting an alignment. This could be due to worn bushings, worn ball joint, or damaged arm... any chance of these scenarios?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts