Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
175 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dudes, I just had my Catalyic Coverter replaced about 2 months ago. The stock one was SHOT. However, when I had the stock Cat, it didn't make a sound. The one the dealership put on sounds like Air is coming out of it or something! It's not loud by anymeans however, in low Rev's or idling, you can hear it! I just liked it when it was quite. Sometimes I didn't know if the car was on! Should it be doing this or should i take it back to the dealer.
I live in Winnipeg CANADA and was wondering if I even NEED a Catalyic Coverter. Would the dealership LET me do that? ONE MORE: Should i invest in a new High Performance Cat Converter??
Thanks Dudes,
( My lifes in Ruin's when This Site Goes Down!!!!!!!!!!!)

Little Bastard,
P.S
Okay..so maybe i'm exagerating but, I do hate it when this site is down! I might just have to start reading one of my textbooks! Studying.......ugh.....

·
Registered
3,167 Posts
Sounds like there might be a small leak at one of the pipe connections. Try this: take a large rag and hold it firmly up to the tailpipe(s) while the engine is running. This will block the pipe and cause exhaust pressure to rise. The leak, if there is one, should become more obvious then and you (or an assistant) may hear or see where it's coming from.

By law, every car produced with a catalytic converter as original equipment needs to have one installed. The dealership will not remove your catalyst for you...they'd face the risk of stiff fines and loss of licensing etc.

I wouldn't bother with a high-flow converter unless you've got a serious power-adder like a turbo or super charger. The OEM converter, if not clogged, flows more than enough for the engine.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts