Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey, ill be getting my 88gt in 2 days. its takin awhile for me to get it tho. so what are sum things i should look for? what are some things i should replace, it hasnt been on the road since 2002,

also the interior is getting moldy, what should i do about that? the front seat belts dont click in. no air blows from the vents, and the engine needs to be timed, also the brakes need to be bleed, and the rear struts need to be replaced. what struts should i use?

any info would be great, and the enigine needs to be timed

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
on the road soon ?

I'd take my time and make sure that it is roadworthy and safe. It appears as though you have alot of work looking at you. If you don't know anything about the past maintenance done on this car, you'll have to start from the ground up. At least, it hasn't been sitting too long.
How do you know that it's only just the motor's timing that needs adjusted ? There are alot of things that could've possibly been neglected prior to it's time left "sitting".
If you don't have a repair manual for the car, I'd strongly suggest getting one. It will help guide you with the basic fundamentals and troubleshooting the potential oncoming problems you face with an older car.
PS: Utilizing the "search" feature offers info on almost any question you could imagine, concerning the "6" and it's repairs.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
it came with a the manuale. the guy told me what he has done to it, the head is new rebuilt and the hlas are new, the turbo is a off a engine with 97K on it, no shaft play, he said he changed the timing belt and never re timed the enigne, its got all the symptons the manule says also, occasional backfires,lack of power ect, so im assuming it needs to be timed

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
Timing beware

If the guy put all that effort into the motor as mentioned, I'd be somewhat curious as to why he left it undone...........
The timing is a relatively simple task compared to all of the other work which was supposedly done. There may be a reason why it was left undone, as you can bet he had tried. (This is only my 2 cent opinion.)

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
he said he never got around to the timing, becuase after he did all that work he took it off thr road and bought a jeep and his a wife a caravan, so its was siting in his drivway

·
Registered
17 Posts
interior getting moldy? 88 gt? hrmm - sounds familiar... in fact, sounds like whats sitting outside right now. check for moisture in the trunk and passenger side floor. petrolium jelly works wonders on the trunk seal, but if you do see moisture in the trunk, lift up the carpets and make sure there are no "lakes" underneath. you may have to dry those out manually. as for the passenger side floor, if you have moisture there, lift the hood. then shove some insulating tape into the most likely cracked/broken rubber cap (right up in the corner on the passenger side - right in front of the hinge). also check your sunroof, as there is occasionally a small slit in the seal around it which can leak if its not in exactly the right place. watermarks are still on the roof from that day...
hope that helps some, let me know if you find anywhere else the moisture could be coming from since i seem to need to know that too.
as for the vents, check the switch first. i know it seems stupid, but those simple things can drive you nuts. simplest explanation is usually the right one, but always the last one you think of.
what to replace? spark plugs definately... and check the ignition wires as well - both could be contributing to your lack of power. the timing belt was recently done, but check that too... check ALL rubber, plastic, and consumable parts (battery, seals, etc.) and check the exhaust. oh, and check the following fuses - meter, fan, and tail lights. those seem to be trouble spots ive found... and if the meter fuse goes, so does your dash. not good if you dont want to get a ticket.
now, for the struts, i used monroes on the front. the front struts are adjustable electronically on some models (far left side of the dash, 3 buttons) but i'm not sure about the rear. make sure to check that first, but right now im not using the adjustables and it seems to be o.k. - you lose some handling ability, but its driveable. warning though - the adjustable struts, if i remember correctly, were close to $800 each Canadian. the regular ones were $200. thats why im not using the adjustable... so watch your budget.
seat belts - take em apart, try wd-40 sprayed in em, or just replace them.
and while you're down by the timing belt, check your other belts too. make sure the alt. belt is tight - otherwise you could have a loss in power, and a squeaky car. like mine right now because i let someone else put the new alt. in... *cough*
anyway, lots of info for ya there, hope it helps, if you find anything interesting at all on the 88gt let me know - mine could use some love.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts