Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
has anyone considered getting a quad throttle body setup on the gts? or has anyone already got one on theirs. i have been stewing on this idea for a while.. any taker?

·
Registered
488 Posts
I'm assuming you mean for the 1st gen, right? Let's set aside the sheer difficulties in keeping all four TBs sycnronized and look at everything else.

PROS:
You would definitly be able to flow more air, and on a turbo that can help out a lot.
More even air flow to each cylinder.
More tunability for each cylinder since you know have individual intakes to adjust.
Should greatly improve top end performance.

CONS:
Have to rebuild the intake completely.
It'll take up a significant amount of engine bay space.
Getting each cylinder ezqactly tuned with the others will be a pain.
Outlet of the turbo will have to be fabricated to provide even air flow to each runner.
Loss of low end torque most likely.(This is an educated guess).

This is by no means a comprehensive list. But if done right and if you have the time and money you should see some good gains. Just be prepared for a lot of tuning time and fiddling with it to get every thing adjusted correctly. If it's for a street car I don't really see the use, but for the track or strip it could be useful.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
yes your points do hold truths tho for the one about the space usage i undrstand and have seen a slide valve setup utilised as opposed to the buttlerfly system. i think the nissan pulsar gti-r came out with the quad set up. after looking at the setup i couldnt see why our cars could adapt to it. tho the ecu will need to be ditched for a programmable one and the air pick up sensor will need to be a 3-wire hot pick up. th gti-r is a 2.0litre 4wd 2door turbo just incase u guys never got it over in the US.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts