Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at a 1989 626 GT in my area that's for sale and I have a question about the exhaust. The guy selling it (HJS626 on the forums) says that the pipe behind the cat-converter has rusted behind the flange. What piece is this? I'm not familiar at all with the exhaust set-up and for the car to pass MD inspection this would have to be replaced. He also said that it would be the first piece replaced on the typical cat back conversion. Anyone know a place where I could order the pipe? Or is perhaps selling one here? Any opinions are welcome, thanks :)

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Depending on how bad it is you could probably goto a muffler shop and have them replace the flange ----->to where it's not rusted out. Otherwise you could get the entire catback custom made.

metros

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
It sounds like a very typical situation. The exhaust on the 1G turbo looks like this:
Code:
==>--------<===>-------<=====>-----<===>-
(turbo)-----(cat)------(resonator)---(muffler)-
			^where it's most likely rusted
It sounds to me like the resonator is what's rusted out. This is very common. The resonator runs about $100-200 at parts stores, I'd estimate about the same for an install at a shop. The resonator includes the pipe that bolts to the cat, and also has a pipe that goes a bit towards the the muffler. Then there's another pipe that bolts between the resonator end pipe and muffler.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. So Magik8 you're saying 200-400 in total for resonator and install? Or am I interpretating it wrong?

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
No, I'd say about $150 if you buy it yourself and install it, about $200-250 if you have a shop buy and install it.

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Cool thanks, my friend and I know how to install it and we'd probably do it. Is there a certain kind I should look for?

·
Registered
581 Posts

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Cool thanks Pickles, I've checked that site out before. Another question now, Aluminum or SS? Any much of a difference? Rust faster than the other?

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
UPDATE on the exhaust. The guy took some more looking and here's what he had to say,
I did think of another way to fix the exhaust, do you know anyone that knows how to weld? The pipe that is leaking looks to be in good shape. I believe the hole came from the support that is attached. Looks like the support held water, and rusted a small hole in the pipe. Might be fixable, I don't weld so I can't say for sure
Any ideas on what I should do? Maybe I don't have to replace the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
18,203 Posts
go to a muffler shop and have them fix it. if it's just a repair....it will be under $50, probably a lot less. I had a cat installed for $50 even. Also, if it's your resonator that's rusted, just have them cut it out and put in regular pipe.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts