Mazda MX-6 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I've looked all over the net for some type of help with my situation but could only find some slightly helpful facts. So I'm running two power wires to my amp and two ground wires from my amp to my frame (both 6-awg). The power wires are the issue. In the car there is already an 8 guage wire with an inline fuse. Yet the fuse holder is like 6 inches of either 12 or 10 awg wire. Will this affect the capabilities of the 8 guage powerwire? I am trying to get away without spending another ten dollars on fuses for my second power wire to run an additional 6 awg power wire. Unless it is a must.

Yet I did find a helpful chart roughly what it stated was that the actual conductor diameter for:

1/0 awg wire is .32"
2 awg wire is .25"
3 awg wire is .22"
4 awg wire is .20"
6 awg wire is .16"
12 awg wire is .08"

So even if it was a 12 awg wire and a 6 awg wire running to the amp I would have the equivilance of a wire between 2 awg and 3 awg wire running to the amp. Right? Would that thickness of wire work?

Or on the other hand if I buy another fuse holder I can run two 6 awg wires to the amp which is equal to one 1/0 awg wire running to the amp. I know this is better but is it really needed?

Oh additional info:
Amp is hifonics Bxi1608d (1600 watts rms)
Battery is less than five feet away from the amp (In the trunk)

·
Registered
103 Posts
hey mate as a qualified auto electrician this is my advice- on the basis that it is 1600watts rms you should run 2awg at a very minimum or 0awg to get minimal voltage drop. the reason being is that over a distance wire has a resistance and this reduces voltage, this voltage drop in turn causes a drop in wattage output from your amp. the fuses usually used in car stereos are made up of metals of varying resistances and thicknesses. this is so the fuses blow at their rated amperage BUT the length of the fuse is so small that voltage drop is not big enough to be noticeable in the volume output of the amp. for an amp that puts out 1600watts i would recommend using a circuit breaker as they can handle more power without heating up like fuses. as for running your earth to the body of the car- dont be lazy lol, your battery is only 5ft away run your earth directly to your battery.
good luck with it and just pm me if you need more info

p.s. your going to have problems with your alt and headlights

Reactions: Graham_A_M

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks alot. I knew about the voltage drops and such I just didn't feel like it was necessary to get 1/0 awg wire if I could run double 6 awg wire to it and get the same thickness.

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
dual 6 gauge strands will give you a bit better then 4. Still I'd upgrade to 0/1 if you can. Try looking into welding cable too, it may be a fair bit cheaper then the typical car audio power wires available.
You may want to try three, if you can. I've seen some nutty SPL guys run 6++ strands of 0/1 gauge.
Some of those guys are doing 15,000+++ watt RMS installs though.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Yeah bad thing is my amp only accepts 4 awg wire, so anything thicker than that will be hard to run. I might be able to do three wires though I'm still waiting for my sub to get back so I got till the end of this week to figure something out. But 15,000 watt rms is just ludacris.

·
Its not butter?!!!!1
4,968 Posts
you should see 500k- to 1million watts. Thats when shit gets off the hook:lol:
Use a splitter, remember it comes down to how long the primary power cable is.
4 gauge over a short distance is the same as mutliple strands of 0/1 gauge for the length of the car ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah distance is very short the guy at this local shop tried to sell me 2 thirty dollar fuse holders. So I had to just leave since he was just apparently trying to just make some money not really help me. The fuse holders were only twenty dollars retail I looked it up when I got home. What did you see that had 500K watts?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts