Mazda MX-6 Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how hard do u guys drive your cars over in the US? i have long studied sum of the posts on the bulletin board and at times i cant believe my eyes to see that most of u guys have clocked almost 150-200,000 MILES!!! in australia thaey have a rep for being strong engines but seeing these mileage figures really amazes me.especially for a turbo car and 4 cylinders at that. my car has clocked over a measley 178,000 kilometeres!!! it pales in camparison to sum on the posts. i am extrememly glad to hear our cars go hard for miles and miles. lets see a clapped out 5.0 do that. i mean they probly couold but with smoke pissin out all over the place.long live the mx6gt!

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
yup...good cars

As you've probabaly seen from my signature, my car has over 180,000 miles on it. It doesn't smoke when I start it up, and it has the same amount of power as it did when I bought it at 97,000 miles. I think the fact that I've used Mobil 1 synthetic for the last 70,000 mi. or so has something to do with it, but others have the same mileage as me and use normal oil, so whatever. My only engine problem right now is valvetrain ticking from my clogged HLA's, which I'm going to cure as soon as I replace my headgasket as a preventative measure. Oh yeah, I'm also on my original turbo and tranny (though my 2nd gear synchro has gone out and I have to double de-clutch on that gear now....)

·
Registered
270 Posts
My car has 168K miles. I have been running 15psi for the past 2.5 years, and I have made a few trips to the 1/4 mile track. I am not too easy on the car! It has the original engine, transmision, and turbo, but I upgraded the turbo about a month ago. I don't know how new the clutch was when I bought it (at 130K) but it has help up just fine the past 3 years. Needless to say I am more than impressed by this car:)

·
Registered
24 Posts
194,000!!
I drive like a bat outta hell! 15psi, and never had a major problem ---exept for the clutch @ 175,000 - allI can say is man can a centerforce grab!!

Speedymx

·
Registered
379 Posts
Old Faithful has 133,000 miles on her, which equates to 215,000 km. Engine runs great, even after being accidentally run low on ooil at 115k. The body'll rust out before the engine dies...

·
Premium Member
7,327 Posts
It's strange you mentioned rust on these cars, Apollo-Soyuz, because I have noticed these cars do not rust badly at all... in fact, I have yet to see a 1st gen mx6 with any significant rust on the exterior!

My car has 138,000 miles on the original engine, clutch, and transmission, and still going strong after replacing the a/c compressor, p/s pump, and p/s rack.

G

·
big problem

I have a 88 lx and i want to trade it for a 88 gt but they want 1400 more and my car is better it has less millag by about60000k anb i dont know what to do can any on help ?

·
Premium Member
3,962 Posts
I've got 158k miles on mine. Original engine, turbo, tranny and clutch. These cars are indestructable :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
magik8 said:
It's strange you mentioned rust on these cars, Apollo-Soyuz, because I have noticed these cars do not rust badly at all... in fact, I have yet to see a 1st gen mx6 with any significant rust on the exterior!
Toledo's used up 10,500 tons of road salt in the month of December due to our highest levels of snowfall in December since the 1951 (annual allotment is 15,000 tons). Old Faithful ain't too happy with that... :( Rust is just beginning to form at the corner of the right rear fender opening where it butts up to the bumper cover, just under the right side rocker panel, and in the drain holes for the doors.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
amazing engines.

my friend own a 5 door version of our cars known as a telstar tx5 turbo. he belted the crap out of his car and i mean belt. he once drove down a main road revving the engine up to 6000rpm in 1st gear then all the way down again then all the way up and down up and down. u get the picture. the thing didnt break. he layed rubber everywhere. hand brake on burn out hadbrake off. tyre smoke every where. he even done a burn out in reverse but it was only small. gee wonder why the turbo doesnt boost much if at all in reverse? anyway he convinced me these engine where very strong indeed. the only thing ended up happening in the end was the engine started to seperate from the gearbox and would get caught between gears when driving erratically. die hard 2.2l turbos and n/a i think.

·
Registered
375 Posts
I've got 135K miles on my MX6. The only thing that has gone out was the clutch and the starter. These cars are bullit
proof ( not literaly, ha ha).

G

·
Mileage

My car just rolled over 211,000 miles with nothing majorly wrong ever happening to the car except new clutch and alternator. I have owned the car since it was bought back in the summer of '89.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I just recently bought a 1988 MX-6 LX with 140,000 miles on it, and the only rust that is noticable is a 1 inch by 1 inch square on the lower left corner of the driver side door. Not to bad considering what state I am from... If anyone has travelled though Michigan you will see how much salt we use in a winter.. The guy from Ohio that thought they used alot of salt, let's just say we have used close to 3 times that much... Yikes huh?? So I would have to agree with that these cars are built to last...

·
Registered
379 Posts
Slight addendum...

I live in Ohio, but I drive to Monroe MI & back every day. So yes, I know how much salt Michigan uses :D

·
Registered
167 Posts
I haven't had any problems with my '90 626, which has 145,000km on it, I don't drive it very hard though.
It doesn't seem to have any rust on it at all, and my friend's Camry which is the same age is starting to rust around the rear window.

I guess living in Aus helps, I haven't seen any snow in about six years, when I went back to the UK :)

It seems to go pretty hard, but it isn't as quick as a Commadore :( (commadore = GM v6 rwd)
Time for a turbo I think :)

·
Registered
114 Posts
Mine has 153k. I think that is on the original ATX! Hehe, the thing is showing it's first sign of getting old. If it is cold out, and the engine is cold, it will *sometimes* go into neutral for a second instead of going into 3rd. I also have to driving it hard to get it to do it. So I just don't floor it until it is fully warmed up. Anyway, I love my little car. When I bought it though it was in really bad condition. I needed to install a new head on it. The old one was cracked in may places. But now I have 180psi in all cyl! :)

·
Registered
379 Posts
Panik said:
It seems to go pretty hard, but it isn't as quick as a Commodore :(
Time for a turbo I think :)
Don't worry about it. That 3.8 is a stump-puller. Before my mom bought the DX back in '96, she had a 1986 Buick Park Avenue. Even the mid-80s version of the motor, with 160 horsepower rather than its current 205, could move that heavy car. One time during my 9th year of school (1995) my mom had to drive me there before she went to work... so of course I was 20 minutes late in waking up :D She was so mad that the instant I got in the Buick she buried her right foot and left 4 car lengths of rubber stripes up our street!

G

·
My LX has 162K miles and the only major repairs I've done was to replace oil pan and valve cover gaskets and the radiator. This thing will just keep running. And as far as the body goes it is very clean (as far as rust goes).

Someone asked about a turbo boosting in reverse. Well, the turbo don't care what gear you're in, as long as its getting exhaust it will spool. But remember, a FWD car looses traction going forward and gains traction when in reverse while a RWD car is the opposite. That's why I can do better reverse burnouts in my RWD cars vs forward burnouts. Trust me the turbo is still going, its a matter of traction since your now going backward.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts